Author Topic: Emulators for best screenshot muraling  (Read 12513 times)

Offline Ghaleon

Emulators for best screenshot muraling
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:46:43 pm »
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum, this is my first post. Also, hello everyone. I actually have work on this site and I've been watching it for like four years now, I've just never joined the forum. No idea why. I actually plan to start mapping now, too. But moving on.

What would you all suggest as the best emulators to do the "de-sprite then screenshot" method? I've noticed most either do one or the other. Especially if anyone knows one for the Playstation. Thanks, and ... hello!

Offline snesmaster

RE: Emulators for best screenshot muraling
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 10:45:44 am »
I know FCEUX is the best for the NES.  You can turn off the sprites layer and then take a screen shot.  I use ZSNES for the SNES along with a tool called vSNES. ZSNES lets you toggle the various layers including the sprites.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 12:03:29 pm »
For everything Game Boy/Color/Advance related, I recommend Visualboy Advance. You can turn off individual layers, save the map portion loaded in memory, browse palette and sprites, etc. Basically almost everything you need to make a GB/GBC/GBA map.

For the Genesis, I personally recommend the custom Gens KMod done by fellow board member Maxim. It allows you to turn off graphic layers, and also to change the background color so that you don't end up removing colors from the main map when removing it. You can find it in this thread.

---

Current project: Not sure yet

Upcoming project: Not sure yet either
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 02:23:16 pm »
Ghaleon said:
What would you all suggest as the best emulators to do the "de-sprite then screenshot" method? I've noticed most either do one or the other. Especially if anyone knows one for the Playstation. Thanks, and ... hello!

Wasn't Revned using some type of ePSXe setup for the SotN maps?  You may also want to talk to Zeric about how he ripped his Mega Man 8 maps.

Offline Revned

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 03:31:41 pm »
There is no easy way to get rid of sprites for PSX games, that I know of. It has to be done manually.

Offline Piranhaplant

Re: Emulators for best screenshot muraling
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 07:54:08 am »
For anything with the Nintendo DS, you should use DeSmuMe.  It has layer disabling, map viewing, and many other features.
Games I have mapped--Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES), Mario Party 3 (N64), Super Mario Bros Deluxe (GBC), New Super Mario Bros. (DS), Mario Kart DS (DS)