Author Topic: Is there a brainless way to combine video files?  (Read 8567 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Is there a brainless way to combine video files?
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:54:42 am »
Let's say I have two or more video files, compressed the same way (same codec, same resolution).  Is there an easy way to combine them (in the proper order) to have one continuous file?  Any programs you recommend, preferably free?

I could use my old copy of Adobe Premiere 6.0, but then I think I'd have to mess with settings when recompressing, and I don't want to change total filesize or quality that much.  I have used VirtualDub to easily make cuts to a video but I haven't tried combining (I'm at work so I don't know this second if it can do that), but there certainly must be something more robust.  I don't think either can support all formats like Quicktime files or MKVs.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
Re: Is there a brainless way to combine video files?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:09:06 am »
I don't think it will ever be that easy. You'll have to recompress it, especially if the videos have different codecs/resolutions. I'm sure there are settings you can choose to get pretty much the same effect, but... I don't know them, sorry. :(
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Maxim

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:01:52 am »
VirtualDub does it, without recompressing, but only with AVIs (and only if the codecs really do match). I use FFMPEG to repackage weird formats as AVI (so long as the codecs work in AVI), for example I've merged FLVs that way, but it's certainly not brainless.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 01:02:26 pm »
Super C, maybe? That might just convert video files though. But you could convert them then use Windows Movie Maker. That's been real easy for me to combine and cut video.