Author Topic: Akumajou Dracula Special Boku : Dracula-kun  (Read 24387 times)

Offline Zetta

Akumajou Dracula Special Boku : Dracula-kun
« on: May 21, 2011, 10:02:27 pm »
Otherwise known as 'Kid Dracula' for the Japanese Famicom, starring the loveable Alucard when he was a squinty-eyed little Majin-Buu faced youngster.

A while back Revned graced this awesome site with the first stage of this game mapped in the NES section. Unfortunately he stopped right there.

Mr. Revned (or anybody else), can you pleeeeease finish off the maps for the next 8 levels???
Thanx!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:22:49 pm by Zetta »

Offline Zetta

Re: Akumajou Dracula Special Boku : Dracula-kun
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 01:22:23 pm »
I hate to seem like a pain in the ass, but how come no one has responded to my request!?!?!?

???   >:(

Offline Trop

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 07:44:53 pm »
BUSY! That's why.  I am so damn swamped right now.  As easy as this project would be I just don't have time and won't for a while.

Offline Zetta

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:22:10 pm »
Well, that sucks.

Is anyone here not too busy to take on this simple little NES project?  ???

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 11:35:52 pm »
Well, I'm too busy with my project as it is since I have so little free time nowadays. It might not be a long game to map, but I just can't spare the few hours needed to map it. Sorry.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Zetta

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 12:17:38 am »
Daaaaarn................. Oh well, I understand Terra.  :-[

BTW, does anyone know what happen to Revned? I wonder if he's seen this topic yet.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 02:24:25 am »
You could... maybe... do it yourself? It's not rocket surgery.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 08:05:27 am »
BTW, does anyone know what happen to Revned? I wonder if he's seen this topic yet.

You could try messaging him personally if you really need him specifically.

Though a request board is handy, the fulfillment of requests is dependent on if anyone else is interested enough and have the time or willing to make the time to do so.  There are no designated "request-fulfillers", and though there are many regulars, there are no official mapmakers that have any obligations.  Everyone willingly submits the maps they have made, which they have made on their own time, and other than perhaps recognition, or a personal sense of achievement, they aren't paid or rewarded in any way.

The short of it is, you can make requests, and you can hope that they'll be seen, but do show a little restraint before you bump up your request topic when it's not even a week later.  I, too, would like requests fulfilled, I mean, who wouldn't, but in the end someone else is going to have to spend time on them and the least you can do is be a bit more courteous.  (It's easy enough to read forum posts as more rude than may have actually been intended.)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 08:06:41 am by JonLeung »

Offline Revned

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 08:35:05 pm »
Sorry, I've been out of town with no internet access.

I have considered mapping the rest of the game, but I haven't actually even played it all the way through. I just did the first level since I'm a big Castlevania fan. I won't be able to do this anytime soon, but maybe I will get to it sometime in the future.

Offline Zetta

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 04:26:47 pm »
All right, that's good to know.

I too am a big Castlevania series fan and consider this to be a CastleVania game, even though it plays more like a Mega Man game.

Offline Revned

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 06:32:08 pm »
I've started work on this. Not a bad game. Mapping it is actually not as straightforward as I'd expected, and the next level will be particularly interesting. Can't promise I'll make quick progress, but here's what I have so far:

Jon - You can post these if you'd like, or you can wait until I finish and I'll send you a zip.

Offline Revned

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 04:32:00 pm »
The fifth level has a train that moves with you down a long tunnel. I kept the real scale of both, so I actually ended up with a long stretch of empty tunnel. I don't think it looks bad, though:

Sixth was pretty straightforward. I *think* the boss section actually has some vertical scrolling, but since it's solid black I can't tell how far it goes. I just left a single screen since you'd never know the difference while playing anyway.

Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to leave out an important part of the next level. There are two "layers" of platforms that scroll at different speeds, so I can't really do what I did for the train in level 5. The map will therefore just show a giant empty tube. See what I mean in this video. For the same reason I'm probably going to have to leave out most of the cloud platforms in the eighth level, too :(
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 04:38:47 pm by Revned »

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 05:25:32 pm »
Actually, I think stages 7 and 8 might be a lot easier to map than you fear. You just have to go with maps that follow the "gameplay" rather than the exact structure of the various layers of platforms/clouds.

For stage 7, I'd use the layers of the slow platforms as the base of the map. It's clearly not when you see how fast those metal rings go by as well as when you reach the end of the tube, but it's a stable structure around which most of your movements are centered. For the faster moving platforms, I'd simply place each one at the approximate height you're expected to use them to go from a slow moving platform to another since that's all they really are, moving steps expected to be used at a specific moment. Since the metal rings seem to be part of the actual background (unlike the platforms which are all sprites), they're probably spaced 480 pixels apart (which is how tall the background contained in the name table can be). As for how much space to leave between the last platform and the end of the tube, I'd just fudge it as long as it's a multiple of 16 pixels.

For stage 8, I'd do something similar. First off, I'd see if the cloud platforms between the airships appear in a set, repeating pattern if you wait before using them. If yes, I'd simply fill the space between each ships with pattern found. If there are no patterns and their positions are random, then simply use whatever pattern you observe and use that. In my Battletoads maps, most of the high speed levels had randomly positioned obstacles so I simply made patterns that could be repeated without looking like they did too much. It's not perfect but it works well enough.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 07:24:54 pm »
I'll have to see how that works out for level 7. I would like to keep the full height of the pipe, but if it's going to be empty maybe that's just a waste. The train level at least had occasional things on the ceiling that made the full tunnel worth keeping. I guess I can probably figure something out for level 8. I'll have to investigate some more - I've only played it for about 20 seconds total.

Offline Zetta

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 05:48:58 pm »
Whoa now!! Revned, you've really outdone yourself with those colorful Dracula Kid maps.  :o

I love how you mapped out the entire roller-coaster track from Stage 2 and the underground train segment in Stage 3. Nice work.

Stage 7 and 9 should be cake for you. Especially 7, since it's entirely vertical. Keep up the excellent Famicom mapping work.  :D