Author Topic: JonLeung's Requests  (Read 45545 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: JonLeung's Requests
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2023, 03:48:35 pm »
On the heels of mapping out one-quarter of the Genesis Mini all on his own within eight days, G.E.R. has submitted maps for Blaster Master 2!

The original on the NES is one of the games I grew up with, and so I love it a lot.  The sequel is definitely different, and at least we now have the maps to easily see how stylistically different it is.  This time around, all stages (except for the last) have a top-down view for the vehicle (as opposed to the top-down view for the on-foot exploration sections in the original) and they are kind of maze-like.  These maps will certainly come in handy.  Thanks yet again, G.E.R.!

Boy, there's not much left for my personal Genesis requests at the moment... just one game, really... unless/until I think of more...  :P

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2023, 11:33:07 am »
One of the weird requests here, for the Famicom game Booby Kids (J), has been fulfilled by zagato blackfist!

I have memories of playing this on my NES, even though I don't remember how.  Did I borrow a multicart from someone?  Why don't I remember who?  But what I do also remember is that music from this game is also used in some bootleg multicart menus for some reason.  I guess it's catchy!  And yes, while the name "Booby Kids" is unfortunate, it likely refers to the "booby traps" as the game involves trapping bad guys in holes that you dig, and the Japanese didn't think of it any other way.  It actually has another name for the arcade version, "Kid no Hore Hore Daisakusen" or "Kid's HoreHore Daisakusen", which to an English speaker, is actually worse...

Regardless of its name and what we think about it, we can thank zagato blackfist for getting it checked off.  So thanks again, zagato!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2023, 05:30:02 pm »
zagato blackfist has sent in the maps of Milon's Secret Castle.

I remember renting this game, and I don't remember if my friends had it, but I know I somehow played it more than once.  Not sure if I would have rented it a second time because I never could figure out how to get anywhere beyond the first floor.  (Or maybe its difficulty and vagueness really imprinted in my memory...)  Maybe with these maps I can try again one day!  Thanks, zagato blackfist!

There's also a sequel on the Super Famicom known as Do-Re-Mi Fantasy: Milon no DokiDoki Daibouken (J).  It definitely looks more colourful and is probably not as vague as the original.  We only have the world maps by Tropicon.  It would be nice to see that game fully mapped one day, too!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2023, 03:36:52 pm »
Milon's Secret Castle was also one of the game I once rented as a kid. It was such an unintuitive and frustrating game because it was so unlike the kind of NES games I used to play at the time, mostly those made by Nintendo, Konami and Capcom.

I think I made it past the first boss before getting stuck down the well without a lamp and just couldn't figure out how to progress further before bringing the cartridge back to the rental store. It's nice to finally see what else I've missed thanks to zagato blackfist but it's unfortunately not enough to make me want to play it all the way through!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 10:44:20 pm by TerraEsperZ »
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline dark_lord_zagato@yahoo.co

« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2023, 10:34:46 pm »
I had the same problem back then. I rented it when I was maybe 6 years old and rage quit before I made it to the second floor. You have no i-frames and the enemies can juggle you so I kept getting killed in seconds.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2023, 04:52:42 pm »
qwert_vs_qwerty has submitted a few things today (they aren't all up yet), and one of those things is a map set for Sigma Star Saga!

How often do you see a top-down adventure game with RPG-like "random encounters" for spaceship shooting?  It's certainly an interesting mashup that I don't think I've seen anywhere else, so it makes it a unique game that is nice to now have mapped.  Thanks, qwert_vs_qwerty!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2023, 09:07:04 am »
John Brain, who has mapped many Genesis games, has submitted a full map set for The Revenge Of Shinobi!

I didn't have a Sega Genesis growing up, but a few friends did, and as this seemed to be a common game in their collections, so I'd quickly understood this to be a Genesis classic!  So it's surprising that it's taken this long to be mapped, but now it's finally immortalized in map form, so all is well!  Thanks yet again, John Brain!

As of now, my Genesis requests are almost totally fulfilled.  All I have left is Treasure's intriguing McDonald's Treasureland Adventure...  I'm sure if I took the time to look over the Genesis library, I might be able to find more, but at the moment, for what it's worth, I'd really like to see this licensed McDonald's game - from the makers of Gunstar Heroes, no less - to be fully mapped, so maybe leaving that as the only one of Genesis requests will make that more likely to be fulfilled sooner...

Offline John Brain

« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2023, 04:19:58 am »
As of now, my Genesis requests are almost totally fulfilled.  All I have left is Treasure's intriguing McDonald's Treasureland Adventure...
I just played this game, and I think it's quite interesting with all its secrets and collectibles. I can do this, if no one else is started already.

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2023, 04:12:06 am »
I've been player Sonic Boom 3DS earlier and I think I'll ripped them now. I captured 82601+139561 scrensorts for both games and this work will take a lot of time.
I won't working on other games maps in the near future

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2023, 05:13:27 pm »
John Brain, pro Genesis mapper, has contributed maps for McDonald's Treasureland Adventure!  Nice to have this colourful platformer on here!

That also does it for my personal Genesis requests at this time.  Wow!

That's not to say there aren't more Genesis games worth mapping, of course.  I didn't have a Genesis growing up, so there's a lot of stuff I'm not familiar with and not particularly nostalgic for, but I'm sure there's more I would appreciate once I see it.  And, obviously, this whole site's not about me.  (Just this topic...) ;)  I ALWAYS want more maps from any game on any platform, I just don't know what else I would specifically want to see in particular from the Genesis/Mega Drive at this time.  I do love that era, though, so anything's good.

Thanks again for your ongoing hard work, particularly on the Genesis front, John Brain!  I look forward to what else you may have in store!

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2023, 03:13:26 am »
I think it need a new request - for Sega Genesis Mini 2 full mapset. Can you create a new theme on the forum with full game list and them status (complete, incomplete, not exist)?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2024, 01:24:55 pm »
Danilo Dias, designer, programmer and artist for Odallus: The Dark Call, has submitted maps for... Odallus: The Dark Call!  Nice to have a creator submitting their own work!  Thanks, Danilo!

I think it need a new request - for Sega Genesis Mini 2 full mapset. Can you create a new theme on the forum with full game list and them status (complete, incomplete, not exist)?

Considering it.  Been busy lately.  Do you think there is a lot of interest in it?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2024, 08:49:46 pm »
John Brain, Genesis fan for life, has contributed maps for Daze Before Christmas (Au)!

I originally requested the Super NES one, but the Genesis one is apparently pretty much identical.  But only released in Australia for some reason... (where Christmas is in the summertime.  Hmmm.)

There really aren't many Christmas games, especially on consoles, so this is a nice one to have mapped.  Thanks again for supporting that Genesis page, John Brain!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2024, 10:12:28 pm »
zagato blackfist, no stranger to NES mapping, submitted maps for Cowboy Kid today!

Though many of my requests include popular games that I'm surprised haven't been mapped yet after all this time, some games are on the list BECAUSE they're obscure, like this one.  Cowboy Kid is a rare NES game that plays somewhat like The Legend Of The Mystical Ninja / Ganbare Goemon games.  Though while those games are very Japanese, Cowboy Kid is very Western... the Japanese title is literally "Western Kids".  Like the Goemon games, there sure are a lot of buildings you can enter... zagato's maps will help with that.  Anyway, I'm glad that a rare game gets some maps, it means that more people can see and experience this game!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2024, 04:02:58 pm »
zagato blackfist has awesomely fulfilled a long-standing request of mine, maps for the totally rad NES game, Totally Rad!

Also as requested, the cutscenes with all the dialogue are included, because it's way cool slang that is essential to its whole vibe.  No mention of Totally Rad can go without referring to its bodacious text!  No duh, am I right?  But colour-coding the text is a really dope choice I hadn't thought of; wicked!

The game came out in 1991, and I made maps for it in 2005 before giving up on it.  That's 14 years.  I'd said a few times that I probably wouldn't get around to it, but that it would still be nice to see it mapped.  Then, 19 years after that, it finally has!  Still surprised it took so long (as the game is totally decent), but in any case, it's all done now!  Gnarly!  Tubular!  Awesome!  Way Cool!  ...And other such '80s/'90s surfer/valley girl slang.

Thanks yet again for fulfilling a request, zagato!