Author Topic: Speedy Eggbert (PC)  (Read 21202 times)

Offline Technos

Speedy Eggbert (PC)
« on: November 25, 2011, 05:14:15 pm »
This will be a series of 36 maps from the PC platformer game Speedy Eggbert. What I did was mod the backgrounds so that they become one solid color. Then I used screencaps, removed unwantned things in MS paint, kept doing it until it's done, then inserted its proper background. This is my first post of maps so I'll post one map for now so that you can correct me if I'm doing anything wrong without having to waste time uploading what I've go so far. Names in red means they're not built yet, green means I'm done and need to upload it, and yellow means the map is currently in progress. NOTE: I'm sorry but I'm using JPG because it's too large in memory for PNG and I can't compress it for now.

- Hub
- Tutorial

Rock World
Mission 1 - Mission 2 - Mission 3 - Mission 4 - Mission 5

House World
Mission 1 - Mission 2 - Mission 3 - Mission 4

Tech World

Mech World
Mission 1 - Mission 2 - Mission 3 - Mission 4 - Mission 5 - Mission 6 - Mission 7 - Mission 8

Dream World
Mission 1 - Mission 2 - Mission 3 - Mission 4 - Mission 5 - Mission 6

Kids World

- Final Mission

Multiplayer Missions
Mission 1 - Mission 2 - Mission 3 - Mission 4 - Mission 5 - Mission 6 - Mission 7 - Mission 8 - Mission 9 - Mission 10

Gameplay Demo Missions (unplayable)
Mission 1 - Mission 2 - Mission 3 - Mission 4 - Mission 5 - Mission 6 - Mission 7

- SE Demo Version Mission
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:27:12 am by Technos »

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: Speedy Eggbert (PC)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 06:30:35 pm »
Well I can make a few comments right away, all of which are intended to be constructive. Personally, me and most regular mappers prefer to have pixel-perfect maps, so my comments are mostly aimed in that direction.

1) The map should not be resized unless it's absolutely necessary (like if it was so large that nobody could open the map with any program). In this case, it's hard to make out any details on the map, and although I don't really find the graphics attractive, they really should be presented in the best possible manner. From what little I've been able to calculate, the full-size map should be four times as big in every direction.

2) The map should be saved in a lossless format, again unless absolutely necessary. Saving as a JPG means that there will inevitably be a loss of quality in the image, and the smaller the file size, the worse the image will be. And once it's been saved as a JPG, there's no going back; the quality is gone forever. I really hope you kept a lossless version of it in another format. PNG (in my opinion) represent the best file size with no loss of quality, and can even be optimized to be smaller with dedicated programs like PNGGauntlet and PNGOut.

As for embedding the image directly in your post, by clicking on "Additional Options" on the Post Reply page, you can attach up to 4 images per post with a maximum file size of 1 Mb in total. Hopefully, this will help you make your map look as good as possible, and feel free to ask for more help if you need it.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Technos

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 07:22:16 pm »

1: The map itself was normal size, but when rendered with the image hosting website that I used shrunk it

2: The map was PNG, but the same website made it JPG

When I tried to upload the map through here, I get these random messages saying things like "your posting session has ended" and goes as if I'm making a whole new topic, but I'm not. Now what?

Offline Maxim

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 02:32:11 am »
It might be a size issue, although one might hope the website would give a better error. There is a program called PNGOUT that compresses PNG files to be much smaller without losing any details, and if you don't like to use the commandline there is a program called PNGGauntlet that will give you a GUI. See if the file's under 1MB and try again?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 02:32:25 am by Maxim »

Offline Technos

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 08:10:50 am »
I tried to download PNGout, but nothing happened

I got PNGgauntlet, but every time I optimize a map it made it bigger. How do I stop this?

Offline Technos

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 04:59:16 pm »
I went through the understanding of PNGgauntlet and decided not to use it because of what's going on with the large file issue. I think It's just about impossible to upload perfectly, which is why I'll be using JPG. Oh well. At least it doesn't ruin the detail much when I JPG'd a map.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 01:59:21 pm »
Well, that's odd. I suggest you try using another image host. The final maps (submitted by email) should be the unscaled PNGs, of course, but until we see them we can't offer much advice. The smaller maps come through unscaled and look OK to me (not mentioning anything to do with the game art style itself, which I don't think much of).

Offline Troy Lundin

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 02:10:21 am »
What do the numbered squares represent?

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 09:13:09 am »
Why do the sections of rock look misaligned in the first Rock World map?  Is it like that in-game, or did you try to fill in areas you couldn't see?

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 08:24:47 am »
At first I questioned whether or not JPG was necessary, but now that I see the first House World mission, it definitely seems like JPG would be the way to go. Those photorealistic clouds would have made the file size tremendous!

As far as filling in areas with rocks and such, try align it as close as possible. When you have a texture pattern like that, anomalies in the grid tend to stand out.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Technos

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 01:15:37 pm »
The numbered squares represent the reversing boundaries of moving objects. Whenever objects are in between a 1 and 2, they move within their track.

The misalinged rocks were put because to make mapping faster and that the level design didn't include the tiles outside of the possible view when playing the level.

Offline Technos

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 02:28:40 pm »
Yikes. I'm sorry there wasn't any production of maps during the last few months. There were all kinds of other work to do. I'm also surprised to see no other replys for these three months. I'll try to get back onto this while dealing with the other things I have going on right now.

I'm also going to upload house mission 2 since I just finished it.

Offline Troy Lundin

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 03:33:20 pm »
If you want, you can send me an original, unscaled image (without the filled in rocks if possible) and I'll see what I can do considering filesize/quality. Slap it in a zip file or something.

Offline Technos

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 11:16:32 am »
No that's okay.

I'm also going to include the ten online multiplayer missions, the levels shown in the gameplay demo on the start menu, and also the full level in the demo version of Speedy Eggbert which did not appear in the full game. So I'll have to do more maps but most of them are short.

Offline Technos

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 02:54:56 pm »
So when I converted one map to jpeg, it still can't get it down below the maximum capacity for image uploading. So what I'm going to do is put all png format maps in one zipped folder when I've completed this project and upload it on a file hosting website.