VGMaps
December 11, 2017, 11:54:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern 2010s 2D/2.5D wishlist!  (Read 42 times)
Nega

« on: December 09, 2017, 07:08:08 PM »

First of all, I can't thank everyone enough for the hard work being done for Momodora and Sonic Mania! Good job!

Are we able to keep this up? Now that sprites are coming sorta extinct, is 2.5D still possible? Here's a list of games I am dying to see made, hopefully they all are possible!

Azure Striker Gunvolt 1 & 2 (3DS)
Shantae Risky's Revenge (DS), Pirate's Curse, Half Genie Hero (Wii U)
Hollow Knight (PC)
Freedom Planet (PC)
Mighty No. 9 (PC)
Kirby Triple Deluxe, Planet Robobot (3DS), Return to Dreamland (Wii)
Axiom Verge (PS4)
Transistor (PC)
Bastion (PC)
Pyre (PC)
Dex (PC)
Super Time Force (PC)
Matterfall (PS4)
Owlboy (PC)
Way more...

Now some upcoming oppurtunities I'd love to see:

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
Dragons Marked For Death
Megaman 11
Kirby Star Allies
Freedom Planet 2
More I can't think of right now...

Could we see many more modern stuff being made? I love the classics but looking to now and the future, a lot of awesome stuff being made!
eishiya

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 10:30:18 PM »

Shovel Knight has been partially done by TerraEsperZ, no idea if they're still working on that.

Since many modern games use non-pixel 2D and 3D artwork, they're much harder to map compared to most classic games, which used pixel art. That is the main reason you don't see many modern game maps. Plenty of modern games still use pixel art (e.g. Owlboy, Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge) and sprites aren't becoming extinct and thus are relatively simple to map, so I'm sure we'll see maps of the more popular of those games eventually, provided that interest in mapping in general doesn't die down.
An additional factor is that since these newer games are still being actively sold and maps that use art from the games violate copyright, posting the maps may be problematic. I was fortunate to be able to get permission to post my Momodora: RutM map, not many developers are that responsive.

Half of my Steam wishlist is modern pixel art games I'd love to map, but I haven't the time or the money for them. Glad to see I'm not the only one interested in maps of those games though Cheesy
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:34:21 PM by eishiya » Logged
TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:35:41 AM »

Shovel Knight has been partially done by TerraEsperZ, no idea if they're still working on that

Unfortunately not. I've always mapped using screenshots and, whenever possible, emulators that could disable layers. Shovel Knight has many layers that can't be disabled so you're left with two choices: take a ton of screenshots and extrapolate what you can't see using the game's individual tiles (a gruelling task), or extract the layers straight from the game's code. I'm nowhere near smart enough to do the later, and trying the former took me several weeks to assemble the game's simplest maps.

As much as I love this game, I simply don't have the patience and energy to keep mapping it. Sorry Sad.
« Last Edit: Today at 05:36:23 AM by TerraEsperZ » Logged

Current project that I really should try to finish:
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)
-Lilly Looking Through (PC)

Pending project:
-A ton of stuff that will never be finished
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: