VGMaps
October 24, 2014, 06:27:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looney Tunes Collector: Martian Revenge/Marvin Strikes Back! (Game Boy Color)  (Read 404 times)
LTIan

« on: June 03, 2014, 10:13:09 PM »

Since there are Maps for Looney Tunes Collector: ALERT!, can anyone get maps from Martian Revenge?
Shiny_

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 10:22:26 PM »

Mapping this game is somewhat complicated because, while it at first seems to use screens connected similarly to the Game Boy Zelda games, there are instances where screens are placed on top of each other. The game also has a bunch of small submaps (caves, houses, etc.) that I don't think fit together in any meaningful way.

A while back I tried to map it. I got as far as almost completing the overworld, but stopped after learning about the overlapping screens. Attached is a picture of the results. Overlapping screens aren't shown and a few other things might be missing since I don't fully understand the map format.
TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 07:20:54 PM »

Ah, the good old 'impossible overworld'... I so hate it when a game developer comes so close to making an internally consistent map only to fail in several small ways like in this case.

Current project:
-Changing constantly, but at present a bunch of Sonic stuff

Pending project:
-Way more than is healthy
LTIan

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 05:54:49 PM »

Well, you could do separate maps like in Looney Tunes Collector: Alert!
Trop

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »

I'd just place the overlapping areas off to the side on the same map in kind of a bubble with some kind of indication about them.  There's no need to tear up the whole thing to squeeze them in where they should be.
TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »

I'd just place the overlapping areas off to the side on the same map in kind of a bubble with some kind of indication about them.  There's no need to tear up the whole thing to squeeze them in where they should be.

I guess it depends if the overlapping areas are separate sections that would completely overlap the overworld and should thus be presented separately (kinda like Zora's Domain would completely overlap Death Mountain in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past) or if the various sections of the map just slightly overlap one another, which would suck hardcore in terms of fitting everything together (like the Chozodia/Space Pirate Mother Ship in Metroid: Zero Mission map where individual rooms were just a tiny bit too big so that once everything was assembled using doors as connection points, adjacent rooms would overlap one another by a single tile row).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:21:23 PM by TerraEsperZ » Logged

Current project:
-Changing constantly, but at present a bunch of Sonic stuff

Pending project:
-Way more than is healthy
Shiny_

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 08:01:33 PM »

Well, you could do separate maps like in Looney Tunes Collector: Alert!

After looking at the maps from Alert!, I was surprised to see that the overworlds are nearly identical. It makes Marvin Strikes Back! look like a lazy ROM hack. Furthermore, the Alert! overworld map probably has overlapping screens in the same places. And, since there's only one version of the Alert! overworld available on the site, those extra screens aren't represented.

If you were referring to the submaps (houses, caves, etc.), then yes, those could be in separate maps like you suggested.

My main concern is being able to represent the entire overworld, overlapping screens and all, without ruining the look of the map.

However, I might just be making a fuss over nothing. In my notes it's written that walking east from (8,3) on the overworld would bring you to an overlapping screen (an extra overworld screen shown before entering the house seen on (9,3)). However, I just went there in-game and can't reproduce it. I don't know if that's because I imagined the whole thing or if it's because I cheated to get to that area. It's been several months since I last looked at this game.

I might try to finish mapping this game on the grounds that I could have imagined the whole thing. It might be a while, though, since progress is slow on my current mapping project (a game that has a really weird map format).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:03:57 PM by Shiny_ » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: