Author Topic: landstalker sequel and books  (Read 18823 times)

Offline GHS

landstalker sequel and books
« on: November 05, 2013, 07:40:34 am »
Did you know
there was a landstalker sequel planed for the MD called "Landstalker 2 - Heart of Diamond"
Heart of Diamond was the only direct successor of Landstalker, although not as a game.
It was a Fanmanga which was launched by the Climax artist Yoshitaka Tamaki.Tamaki and maybe others took part in a fanzine in the unofficial sequel released in 1997, for which he did the character design and the script.The manga was a basic design for #2 but  for some reason Landstalker didn't do as well in Japan as it did internationally so I guess that is why it was scrapped, so that might be the reason it was not made into a game.The manga is extremely rare and hard  to find today. there are other books like "Encyclopedia Landstalker" and "THE MAKING OF LANDSTALKER, genius programmer Hiroshi Naito"
These books have character design art not seen anywhere ells.
Has anyone ever herd of these things? Does anyone have these things.

Offline Trop

Re: landstalker sequel and books
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 12:17:06 pm »
This makes me wonder just what the connection really is between Landstalker and Alundra.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/563330-landstalker/images/box-45472
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/196598-alundra/images/box-10462

Maybe Heart of Diamond was chopped down into Alundra?

Offline GHS

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 01:43:03 pm »
Maybe, but unless someone uploads a scan of the manga Heart of Diamond will never know. the only scans I have are the U & J manuals.
What I really want is Tamaki's  character design art works not seen in the manuals. I was thinking of including the art in the maps I'm doing.

Offline GHS

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 01:50:18 pm »
here is the manual cover for Heart of Diamond, I knew I had it. Got it of the internet a wile back. cant fined it online anymore.
So it looks like they had the box art ready before the project got cancelled. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:53:49 pm by GHS »

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 06:07:58 am »
It's weird to think that we're only finding out how such an old game has all this secret history...
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline GHS

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 04:32:56 pm »
Searching the net I found some of Yoshitaka Tamaki landstalker art (not all, but a lot) should I add them to the maps I'm doing or leave them out? Original I wanted to include all the art he did for landstalker.
Well what do all of you think?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 04:55:31 pm »
I say go for it. If I had access to rare and special material like that for a project, I would try to incorporate as much of it as possible. It would give said art more exposure as well as make your maps more distinct.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline GHS

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 06:33:15 pm »
OK then. I have mapped 9 areas so I will add the art that I have now to them. I am using Gens+961 with the "walk through walls" cheat code to map it. the intros that I put up was just to get things started. I will not put them up right away, as I want to take my time to make sure that the quality is good. So to every one, be patient.

Offline GHS

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 11:34:17 am »
I've got good new. I found someone that has those books and he has scanned all the art for me.
the maps are done and all I have to do is add the scanned images and refine the maps, so it should be finished by this month.

Offline Trop

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 03:44:27 pm »
Fantastic.  The art was a great addition.   ;D