Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. Wii  (Read 12565 times)

Offline ummwat

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
« on: June 06, 2013, 08:32:35 pm »
So I was dicking around experimenting in Reggie, and found something that may make mapping New Super Mario Bros. Wii a lot easier.

If you don't already know, Reggie is a level editor for New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which I find very impressive. Probably as intuitive as Lunar Magic. It basically extracts the level files from the NSMBW game disc and onto your SD card, which you can then import into the editor and, well, edit.

Anyways, I found out that the editor has a "Screenshot entire level" button. Or at least, a "Screenshot entire zone" button. In the game, the levels are broken up into "Zones", which are basically camera zones: the camera can't exit the zone. Each zone has different settings (backgrounds, music, tilesets, zoom level).

So, I took a screenshot of each layer, put them together, and bam, this happened:

Sadly, Reggie doesn't support backgrounds and some sprites (notably the big rotating ground-things). They usually would just show up as squares. So, there are two viable options:

1. Take multiple screenshots of all 113+ background layers and god-knows-how-many sprites and try to compile them together.

2. Rip the backgrounds and sprites directly from the game files.

Obviously the second option is more reasonable.

If I'm not mistaken, all Wii game assets (including the graphics) are stored on the discs in .arc (archive) files, which can easily be viewed and edited by certain programs. So, correct me if I'm wrong but, mapping this game can just be as simple as taking a few screenshots in Reggie, ripping the required backgrounds and sprites, and putting them together.

Thoughts?

Advance Wars (GBA) - 10%

Cave Story (PC/Mac/WiiWare) - COMPLETE 80%

Offline Trop

Re: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 10:59:47 pm »
 :o
Good lord, it's a real Wii game map.  Don't have many of those.