Author Topic: Wii U Countdown!  (Read 32471 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Wii U Countdown!
« on: August 10, 2012, 08:36:51 am »
What, no Wii U topics here yet?  How about a countdown?

Today, there are 100 days until the estimated Wii U release date of Nov. 18, 2012!

We do know it's coming out in the fourth quarter of 2012.  The specific date I quoted is possible based on past Nintendo console releases.  The GameCube's was on Sunday, Nov. 18, 2001 and the Wii's was on Sunday, Nov. 19, 2006.  So if it's still on a Sunday, it could very well come out on the GameCube's 11th anniversary.  Mid-November works out great for Americans, as it'll be out in time for Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year (after their Thanksgiving) in anticipation of Christmas.  (Despite us Canadians having our Thanksgiving in October, Black Friday has, in recent years, become recognized as well.)

I expected the Wii U to come out last year (it would have fit with the 'X6 and 'X1 release years of the last four consoles in North America), but a November 18, 2012 release date will still "fit", despite more than five calendar years having passed.  Nintendo consoles have always been released between five and six years after the previous one.

The shortest was the GameCube's lifespan of five years plus one day, so if the Wii U came out on November 18, the Wii's will be the inverse - six years minus one day.  Though, it's also 5 years and 365 days (which sounds funny but it's because this year was a leap year).  If timing has to do with performance, the Wii's popularity and longer lifespan is in contrast to the GameCube's lack of popularity and its correspondingly shorter lifespan.  The NES similarly sold well and had 5 years and 10 months, still within the five-to-six year range.  (Though of course we're talking about North American release dates - the NES, or rather the Famicom, had over seven years in Japan, 1983-1990.)

Though any "pattern" is probably based on a number of more real and practical factors, than any deliberate attempt to release like clockwork just for the sake of it.  Moore's law (which has to do with the increase in computer processing power) is particularly consistent.  Consumer's tastes are always changing, and now Nintendo feels HD is ubiquitous enough for them to dedicate themselves to deliver Mario and Zelda experiences in 1080p.  And now with a tablet-esque controller, to boot.  So it's just about time.

In any case, we should be excited.  Math and theories aside, the next generation Nintendo console will be here in mere months, whether or not it's exactly 100 days from today.

To fill the time, there are more than enough Wii games to play, despite what people say.  I just finished two of the three "Operation Rainfall" games, which I doubt most people have even touched.  Xenoblade Chronicles alone is an easy two hundred hours, so you could play that for a couple hours a day, every day, until the Wii U!  Pandora's Tower I recently finished with an "S" ending, and though short, let me tell you, that's a severely underrated game.  I'm looking forward to The Last Story which comes out next week.  My backlog includes a number of other Wii games.  And all those casual games that hardcore gamers have snubbed?  They're missing out.  I've had so many people over for the Just Dance games, and they include those of the female species.  I'm planning another "Nintendo Night" party, themed around sending off the Wii, and I recommend that anyone else do the same.

And then when the Wii U hits, you can bet I'll be getting it first thing that morning.  Will I be seeing you guys in the Miiverse?

Offline ummwat

Re: Wii U Countdown!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 03:15:25 pm »
It's kind of nice to see the Wii U get more attention than its predecessor. Maybe the Wii U will actually be successful.

Advance Wars (GBA) - 10%

Cave Story (PC/Mac/WiiWare) - COMPLETE 80%

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 04:23:57 pm »
Unfortunately, there hasn't been anything announced for the Wii U that would make the system a must buy for me. It probably sounds strange but even though I bought over 20 Wii and Game Cube games for my Wii, I most likely wouldn't have bought the system if not for Super Mario Galaxy. Seriously, that game was the first time since the days of the SNES that I truly had a "game boner", that I knew I just *had* to have that game at all cost and I wouldn't have minded buying the console just for it. A true "killer app" if you will.

Sadly, Nintendo doesn't seem to have anything terribly exciting lined up for the console's release. I just went through a list of upcoming games and most of it consisted of ports of existing games, which is great if you were tired of being shafted by Nintendo's inferior hardware with the Wii I guess, but it also means that I'll most likely be skipping this generation. Oh well, at the speed I usually play, that leaves me about just enough time to finish all my existing Wii and Game Cube games until the Wii U's successor comes around :P.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 01:36:27 am »
It probably won't be a day-one purchase for me, but I definitely plan on getting one. For me, NSMBU and Nintendo Land and reasons enough. Even though the coverage of Nintendo Land was a bit embarrassing, it's design really stuck out to me. Having studied game design, I could tell just how well designed each mini-game was that they described. They were doing everything right, and I could tell those mini-games will be quite fun to play with my brother and his friends.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 07:39:12 am »
Not excited at all.  For me consoles are waning and my PC is waxing again.  The next-gen consoles should be doing great things.  It's time for them to catch up on digital downloads, offer better home media center options, and talk with your other devices (like tablets).  But I have a feeling they are going to have to fail first before getting it right.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 08:50:56 am »
Wowee, it's like I'm the only hardcore Nintendo fan left, or what?  :/

And no, "hardcore" and "Nintendo" do not combine to create an oxymoron.  I'm looking forward to seeing how Nintendo tries to deliver on their promise of using the Wii U to somehow lure back the so-called "core" gamers they seem to have alienated with the too-easy-to-pick-up-and-play Wii.  Not sure why casual games and hardcore games can't co-exist on the same platform, but in the Wii's particular case it probably has to do with the "core" games being developed in HD which the Wii did not support.  Now that can't be a knock against the Wii U, which is supposedly more powerful than the PS3 or Xbox 360.  If I hadn't already finished Batman: Arkham City on the PC, I would totally pick up the Armored Edition on the Wii U to support more hardcore/third-party efforts.  But I will surely pick up Nintendoland (you have to admit it's cooler than Wii Sports) and of course, New Super Mario Bros. U (launch Mario console game)!

With less than 100 days, I'm actually surprised that there ISN'T more discussion of the Wii U.  It's not as groundbreaking as the Wii, I guess...(which is why I'm wondering what alternate dimension ummwat is from where the Wii wasn't successful and the Wii U is getting attention.  :P )

Offline Revned

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 05:50:44 pm »
I was never even remotely interested in the 3DS, and the same applies to the Wii U so far. Nintendo's offerings have been quite boring of late. There have only been one, maybe two games per year for the Wii that I even care about. All the first-party games are just rehashes of their classic games, which I don't mind as a rule, but it gets tiresome when that's all they have to offer.

Offline ummwat

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 08:26:15 pm »
I meant the Wii wasn't as successful as its competition. Originally, everybody was really excited for the Wii, but then it died down and the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 became more popular among most people, though not all people. I do like the Wii, but from what I've heard, it gained a bad reputation compared to the other consoles in its generation.

Advance Wars (GBA) - 10%

Cave Story (PC/Mac/WiiWare) - COMPLETE 80%

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 09:14:20 pm »
I was never even remotely interested in the 3DS, and the same applies to the Wii U so far. Nintendo's offerings have been quite boring of late. There have only been one, maybe two games per year for the Wii that I even care about. All the first-party games are just rehashes of their classic games, which I don't mind as a rule, but it gets tiresome when that's all they have to offer.
I have to wonder what kinds of games you're interested in, because I have four stacks of Wii games sitting in front of my Wii, including a good number of third party games. (Little King Story! <3) Now, if you don't have any siblings or local friends to play with, then I can understand. The Wii is best suited as a multiplayer machine. The number of good games that aren't local multiplayer oriented are a lot fewer than single player games.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Revned

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 11:33:48 pm »
I play single player games almost exclusively, usually tending toward 3rd person action-adventure games nowadays. There haven't been many of those for the Wii that I've heard of. Skyward Sword was the last I played, and I had mixed feelings about it. I do still enjoy platform games, which are great on the Wii and DS, but I don't play enough of them anymore to want to buy the Wii U or 3DS.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 08:25:24 am »
I play single player games almost exclusively, usually tending toward 3rd person action-adventure games nowadays. There haven't been many of those for the Wii that I've heard of.

Revned, have you played any of the three "Operation Rainfall" games for the Wii?  Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story (which comes out today), and Pandora's Tower (if you've hacked your Wii to play imports)?  You say you're into single-player third-person adventure games...well, that's three of them right there!  Wii exclusives, even!  Plus, they're not rehashes - or even sequels - of anything.  What more could you ask for?  (Even if two of those are skewed more action-RPG than action-adventure...otherwise, it sounds like exactly what you want to play!)

Some of you guys seem so practical...not buying a console until you're ready to enjoy some games on them!  :P

For me, part of the fun of getting a game console on "Day One" is the fact it's "Day One"!  As I mentioned, after getting the GBA a day after its launch, since then every Nintendo platform I've gotten on the first possible day, earlier and earlier even!  Though I don't know how I'll beat being first in line for the 3DS when Best Buy opened that day...hopefully there's enough hype for the Wii U to warrant a midnight release; I actually haven't done one of those...

I think as a gamer that tries to stay on top of games, I admit that I think it's a little odd if anyone buys a current-gen console more than a year after its launch.  I'd almost be embarrassed if I ever had to do that, myself.  I guess I have to work on not being condescending about it, though.  If anything, maybe people have real priorities in life that gaming can wait...could just be that I need to grow up a bit.  :P

Oh, and ummwat, I guess I do see where you're coming from...the Xbox 360 and PS3 certainly have their share of core-focussed games, especially with the (apparent) drought that people see on the Wii (which perhaps I don't see because I like a lot more genres than most and "hardcore" seems to mean "generic gritty shooters" all the time - the kind of genre which actually bores me).

I wonder if the Wii U will get some of that "hardcore" crowd back...you would think a pointer device like the Wii Remote (which is more standard, than, say, the PlayStation Move controller) would be a natural for FPSes, and the Wii U is supposedly more powerful than the competition...at least for a while until the PS4/X720 or whatever.

Note too, the Wii U's stronger online focus than the Wii...though that isn't hard...  I had my Wii online on day one, and never ever played against any of my friends (just gave Metroid Prime 3 "Friend Tokens" to a friend's brother and raced a bunch of cheating strangers in Mario Kart Wii - but neither of those count).  I'm not sure I need everyone commenting on every stage in New Super Mario Bros. U (I'm sure that can probably be toggled off).  But I'm sure it'll be put to more interesting use somewhere, and I'm hoping for "Achievements" (or as the 3DS Streetpass Plaza calls them, "Accomplishments").

I hope to, in the Wii U's lifespan, be able to play some games with you people here, as well as show off my Achievements/Accomplishments.  Even if it's not day one...as long as it's year one...or decade one.  :P
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 08:49:42 am by JonLeung »

Offline Revned

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 05:52:44 pm »
Revned, have you played any of the three "Operation Rainfall" games for the Wii?  Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story (which comes out today), and Pandora's Tower (if you've hacked your Wii to play imports)?  You say you're into single-player third-person adventure games...well, that's three of them right there!  Wii exclusives, even!  Plus, they're not rehashes - or even sequels - of anything.  What more could you ask for?  (Even if two of those are skewed more action-RPG than action-adventure...otherwise, it sounds like exactly what you want to play!)

I'm not really a fan of JRPGs, to be honest. These certainly look nice, and I might try them eventually, but they don't seem quite like what I look for.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 09:58:37 am »
Maybe the hype will pick up a little more after the Sept. 13 press conference where we can expect more details, such as the finalized form and specs of the Wii U itself, launch date, price, etc.  Maybe a few game announcements?  Two more days!

I don't get why everyone thinks the price is a big detail.  Nice to know, but is it really a determining factor of when one buys a game system?  It's a one-time thing, not a monthly thing, so it shouldn't be a big deal.  Do people not know how to save money that it's going to be so tragic if it's, say, $100 more than predicted?  If people don't know how to save a few hundred dollars over the course of the last few years, they probably shouldn't be playing games...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 08:09:44 am »
NOVEMBER 18TH!  $300 for the regular, $350 for the deluxe.

Got that info from this live blog: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/09/wii-u-liveblog-us/ - and only because I can't access much else game-related while at work.

That's 66 days from now.  Earlier than the Japanese launch of Dec. 8.

Still within the 5 to 6-year range of all Nintendo consoles, as it's 5 years and 365 days after the last one.  (Which is not a ridiculous statement if you remember it was a leap year...)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 08:33:20 am by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 09:33:10 am »
Saturday:
BB Guy #1: The Wii U?  Uhh, let me ask.  (Asks BB Guy #2)  If we don't have signs up, then no, we're not doing in-store pre-orders.

Sunday:
BB Girl #1 (on the phone): The Wii U?  I don't even know what that is...  (looks it up)  Ah, yes, you can come in and pre-order either one of the two SKUs, no prob.
BB Girl #2 (at the store, at the checkout): Pre-order?  Wii U?
BB Guy #3 (arrives with a binder): Okay, you can get one of six combos...either white or black, with low, medium or high bundles.
Me (thinking): But there were only two SKUs announced...basic white and deluxe black...
Me: I'll take the high black.
BB Girl #2: (random comment about Wii U)
BB Guy #1 (nearby, looking on): Yeah, some guy pre-ordered a Wii U yesterday.
Me (thinking): BUT YOU TOLD ME YESTERDAY THAT YOU WEREN'T DOING IN-STORE ORDERS.
BB Girl #2: I don't see New Super Mario Bros. U here, but I do see Just Dance 4...
Me: No, no, that's Just Dance 4 for the Wii.  I asked for Just Dance 4 for the Wii U.
BB Girl #2: Maybe come back in a week or two when we know what we're selling.
Me: >_<

I don't expect Rhodes scholars to be working at Best Buy, but they should at least know what they're selling...