Author Topic: Is the PS3 a good Blu-Ray (+ benefits) player at this point?  (Read 11232 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Is the PS3 a good Blu-Ray (+ benefits) player at this point?
« on: March 10, 2012, 12:29:15 am »
Long story short, I don't have a blu-ray player yet (mostly because I don't have an HD TV). But I've been starting to buy Blu-Ray + DVD combos recently if only because it's barely more expensive and I can both enjoy the movie right now and later in a superior format. I was considering a generic player for the last few weeks but then, I found out about Journey (PS3).

Journey is exactly the kind of game that would make me buy a console. Okay, maybe not this game by itself, but coupled with the fact that I need a blu-ray player *and* that there are PS3 games I would be interested in without being must-have titles, are slowly tipping the balance in favor of Sony's console. With the PS3 and the XBOX360 slowly approaching the end of their intended lifetime, would buying a PS3 now be a good idea? I'd most likely go for the smallest available HDD to save on cost but a refurbished unit is out of the question. I simply don't trust those (after tons of problems over the years installing refurbished printer parts and supplies at work).

So, good idea? Should I follow my best friend's advice to wait a year for the PS4 to come out and buy a PS3 when they're priced to move ASAP? And how does it rate as a blu-ray player, with and without the DVD remote?
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

Re: Is the PS3 a good Blu-Ray (+ benefits) player at this point?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:17:30 am »
I use mine for DVDs, Blu-Rays and Netflix and don't have the remote and it works great. That said, I can't in good faith recommend Sony products anymore after all the crap they've pulled. If I was looking to buy a Blu-Ray player, I'd just get a Blu-Ray drive for my computer and hook it up to the TV.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:45:13 am »
What crap are you referring to exactly? The whole "PSN hacking" fiasco, removing the earlier hardware PS2 compatibility in later models, or something else which I'm not aware of?
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 01:43:49 pm »
That and killing off Linux, mostly. They don't really try to hide the fact that they are incompetent and greedy, and don't care about their users at all.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 07:44:19 am »
There's no saying when the 'PS4' will come out. There are no formal announcements and no developer has stated that they are working with a dev unit. Some developers have target specs, but I'm sure Sony will announce something when Microsoft does, and that won't be this year. At least not at E3. If Nintendo blows everyone out of the water with the WiiU then you'll be sure to see some press from both companies during the summer regarding their new systems.

Point is, I don't see the PS3 coming down in price anytime soon. It does work nicely as a Blu-ray machine, and it upscales DVDs very well. The games are a bit of a perk, too. But if you don't see yourself playing the games then a $100 model will do just as well without many of the bells and whistles. Just make sure you are able to connect it to the Internet to keep the firmware updated.

Offline Troy Lundin

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 10:45:29 pm »
I know this thread is old, but while I was reading it I remembered something I saw quite a while ago that still rings true to this day.

Link (Video)