Author Topic: How much disk space do your own maps take?  (Read 16010 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

How much disk space do your own maps take?
« on: July 20, 2006, 10:06:57 am »
Yesterday, I finally did a much-needed backup of my game maps folder since the last one dated back at least 8 months, maybe more. The whole thing came to about 380 MB, including all the abandonned, completed and in progress projects with all the Raw, WIP and Final versions of the various maps plus the various sprites and tilesets I kept separate.

So I was wondering: how much space do your own maps take? And do you include all the screenshots  in that figure (since I remember someone who kept all of his; I don't)?

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

RE: How much disk space do your own maps take?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 10:51:02 am »
I don't keep around any of the raw ones, just the final PNG files. My own maps are probably only a few megabytes, but my folder of all the maps I've saved over the years is 175 MB.

I think it would be more interesting to compare total pixels to other people here. You know, multiply the width by the height on every map you have. File size isn't very informative since some maps have very few colors and are thus very small after compression. My Castlevania map has 17,092,608 pixels. We should all have a race to one billion ;)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 10:57:56 am »
Mine are about 13 mb.  But I've only made 37 so far.  19 of those aren't even on the site yet.  Also, I RAR any source material I keep.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 10:59:23 am »
Ah, but depending on the layout of the maps, pixel-count can be misleading as well.

Last I checked, which was a few days ago, all of VGMaps.com can still be backed up on a single CD-ROM.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 11:22:41 am »
Actually, the total size isn't really important, and was more of an excuse to talk about all the mapping you've all done.

Regarding pixels, that would make my Bloodlines map seem much bigger than they really are, with most of them filled with black pixels.

And Revned, I used to keep only the final PNGs. The result is that I've had to re-do very large portions of earlier projects because I had messed up previously and couldn't correct the mistakes without restarting from scratch.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 01:09:57 pm »
I keep everything I created, but compress it all. The compressed size of all my past projects is 788 MB. The uncompressed size might be well over two gigabytes, I cannot tell exactly because I also compress some files already while the project is still running to make everything a bit more clearly arranged. But I also do not think it is much of importance.

The final PNG size, however, is smaller. Although it also already is a bit big because of that Playstation game and that RPG I mapped.

900kB+250kB+351kB+16MB+3.1MB+186kB+17.3MB+265kB+4.87MB+485kB+121kB+2.29MB = 46.05 MB

To count the actual pixels of data (so no blank spaces) would take a while without writing a neat little program before. But it might be a nice idea.

Offline Revned

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 02:00:30 pm »
I don't keep my stuff because everything I've done has been single layer stuff, with the exception of the few Mega Man X2 maps I made. I'll add up my total disk space later. I don't keep my maps separate from all the ones I've downloaded.

Offline KingKuros

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 09:06:06 pm »
With everything I've done so far, I'm up to 444mb.  These included the screenshots, some raw versions I kept, and the final versions you see here.  I backed them all on a CD.