Author Topic: New Ghostbusters II (NES)  (Read 7933 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

New Ghostbusters II (NES)
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:19:08 am »
This is another game that was essentially fully mapped (three and a half years ago) but never finished but since this project is complete, I decided to put it in its own thread.

If you remember playing a Ghostbuster II game that sucked, well it most likely wasn't this game. What?! Two different games for the same movie? Well yeah. This game only came out in Japan and Europe and was made by Hal Laboratory (who eventually gifted us with the wonderful Kirby series). It's nothing special, but it's at least a very playable game with good graphics, enjoyable music and it actually follows the plot of the movie pretty closely.

Why did it take me so long to finish these? Well, I couldn't find a satisfying way to assemble the various rooms in each stage together. You see, every room or area in the game is either one or two 256 x 240 pixels screens in size. The outer walls of most of these are slightly smaller than the one/two screens and often show details of the rooms beyond them. The problem is that when you start assembling rooms by matching doors and such, things no longer fit together. In short, what you see beyond the walls of the room you're in, and what's really in those rooms once you get there is usually slightly different; some walls will be off by a tile, a bathtub will be gone, etc. It might even become impossible to connect some rooms as doors will no longer align correctly (see level 1, 4 and 5).

In order to collapse the various rooms as much as possible, I had to do a lot of minor editing. Namely, I pretty much had to remove everything beyond the walls of most individual rooms, using only their interior for assembly and in some cases, slightly altering the walls themselves to reflect how they all end up connecting together. Referring to my thread about altering maps, this is definitely a case where I find minor alterations not only acceptable, but preferable.

Regarding the names for the stages and bosses, they aren't official in the context of the game but are either directly taken from the movie or are reasonably descriptive enough.

One last thing. You can choose any two of five ghostbusters (Peter, Ray, Egon, Winston and Louis) at the star of the game. While I personally prefer Egon and Winston, I went with the first two choices offered (Peter and Ray) for the maps. I doubt anyone would have noticed ;).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:21:46 am by TerraEsperZ »
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: New Ghostbusters II (NES)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 12:22:16 am »
Here are the last two.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)