Author Topic: So I am working to do Super Mario 64 (hand drawn of course)  (Read 19466 times)

Offline StarFighters76

I wasn't sure how well I would pull this project off, but surprisingly it's going fairly well. My only problem I have left is Course 3, 4, 12 and 14, which is driving me nuts. I've tried different approaches, and just when I think I got it, something snags up!

Here's the problem:
Course 3: Believe it or not, the water is my enemy here. Trying to control Mario long enough while drawing the underwater areas is somewhat tricky to do. Atleast I got the secret cavern out of the way though.

Course 4 and 12 (since they are both mountain areas): I'm trying to do a top down tactic (start from the top and spiral downwards to the bottom), but all the hidden areas under certain parts of the mountains are causing me problems.

Course 14, I'm trying to do a bottom up tactic, but that's kinda getting tricky. Not sure why because I was able to do it in Course 7 pretty good. I might have an idea on what to do with this, but I still need to test it.
Creator of over 4,300 maps on GameFAQs!

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: So I am working to do Super Mario 64 (hand drawn of course)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 12:36:59 pm »
We so rarely get hand drawn maps here in the forums that I wouldn't mind a little exclusive sneak peek ;).
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 01:38:46 pm »
It was mainly for GameFAQs, but since this is a game mapper site I thought I would extend my announcement/frustrations over here as well.

Now if I was to make them for this site, well, no one else has made them, I figure why not give it a shot. I will still post some of them to give an idea of what I'm doing, and if by some chance they are good enough to be posted, that's fine, but know I won't have all 25 maps done yet (15 courses and 10 others).

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 02:02:55 pm »
Here are four maps I have done. If allowed, I will post more in a following topic, but only if that's okay by the higher-ups :)

Offline Revned

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 02:28:19 pm »
I'm not usually a fan of hand-drawn maps, but those are really good! I definitely couldn't come anywhere near that quality :)

Online JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 03:08:16 pm »
Here are four maps I have done. If allowed, I will post more in a following topic, but only if that's okay by the higher-ups :)

What higher-ups?

You can post whatever you like here.  Well, let me rephrase that...anything that doesn't get me into trouble.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 04:15:28 pm »
I second Revned's sentiment. I think it's the 3D effect that makes them look as good as they do. I wonder how you're going to handle stages with both a vertical layout and stuff to show on all sides. Multiple viewpoints?
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 04:32:13 pm »
I second Revned's sentiment. I think it's the 3D effect that makes them look as good as they do. I wonder how you're going to handle stages with both a vertical layout and stuff to show on all sides. Multiple viewpoints?

For the most part that hasn't been a problem, because what's on all sides aren't tucked away underneath certain layers (like a hidden area). Course 4 and 12 however is where the problem is lying because of stuff underneath the main paths. Which is why I am having trouble figuring out to do them.

Course 3 and 14 I'm having issues with but for different reasons.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 04:55:06 pm »
I like them. They're charmingly simplistic while still having a sense of quality and accuracy. Unfortunately, I don't have really have any tips for those tall stages, unless you don't mind slicing the level up into chunks with redundant features.

(When I first saw "hand drawn", for some reason I was expecting a pencil/pen drawing of a perspective view or something.)
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 09:34:25 pm »
I like them. They're charmingly simplistic while still having a sense of quality and accuracy. Unfortunately, I don't have really have any tips for those tall stages, unless you don't mind slicing the level up into chunks with redundant features.

Thanks anyways for the advice :)

(When I first saw "hand drawn", for some reason I was expecting a pencil/pen drawing of a perspective view or something.)

Well, pencil and paper is how they got started, then moved onto MSPaint. You don't want to see the rough drawings, trust me, no one would be able to figure it out lol

Offline Trop

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 10:53:29 pm »
Mike you are one of the higher ups.  You're one of the highest ups, you've made more maps then any of us.  You could draw vertical overlapping rooms off to one side.  Maybe in their own little box or something?

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 12:44:40 pm »
IS it just me or did you forget to put the "START" label on the Hazy Maze Cave map?

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 06:31:22 pm »
IS it just me or did you forget to put the "START" label on the Hazy Maze Cave map?

So I did lol, thanks!

Mike you are one of the higher ups.  You're one of the highest ups, you've made more maps then any of us.  You could draw vertical overlapping rooms off to one side.  Maybe in their own little box or something?

I meant higher-ups on this site (as in staff). But thanks :)

As for drawing a little something on the side for overlapping areas, yeah I guess that could work. I'm trying to make them as authentic as possible, but maybe I can wiggle something together.

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 02:28:19 pm »
Those maps look really nice. They remind me a little bit of maps that I've had for the Playstation 1 Tomb Raider games by John T Burt, but those Mario 64 maps are even greater because you kept some of the perspective.