Author Topic: EmuVR - emulation in VR  (Read 6842 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
EmuVR - emulation in VR
« on: January 06, 2022, 10:11:13 pm »

Despite using VR for a few years, I'm a little late to the party, as EmuVR has also been around for a while...

EmuVR is a VR app where you can relive simpler times.  Put some ROMs in a folder and they become cartridges or discs here.  Put in some video files and they become VHS tapes here.  And then you play them!

You manipulate objects with your hands, so you have to insert the cartridge, hit the power button, etc.  It's simple in theory but it feels neat to do it in VR.

Seems a little funny to get expensive, cutting-edge tech to simulate old tech, eh?  But it works very well.

The only concern is that I am playing it with an Oculus Quest 2, but this can only be played on that via Oculus Link (i.e., running it on a PC, to which the Oculus Quest 2 must be tethered to with an Oculus Link (USB-C) cable).  Even though I have a long cable I still feel restricted.  [EDIT: I was wrong, it can be done wirelessly with the Oculus Air Link!]

This is just a neat experience.  I probably won't fully play a game of any length in here, but it is fun to mess with, as you can customize the posters on the wall, the bedsheets, etc.  Now if only someone could recreate the Super Mario Bros./The Legend Of Zelda bedsheets that I used to have so I can import this into here and really recreate my old bedroom!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 11:59:06 am by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: EmuVR - emulation in VR
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 11:57:02 am »

Just messing around with it more.  It is rather neat, just the idea of ROMs/ISOs/video files turning into cartridges/discs/VHS tapes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 12:03:28 pm by JonLeung »