Author Topic: What's wrong with my computer?  (Read 10034 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
What's wrong with my computer?
« on: April 30, 2014, 07:34:43 am »
Anyone have an idea what's wrong with my computer? I didn't use it for a few days since I was away, then it got stuck while trying to load up some image-intensive folders in Windows Explorer to the point that Task Manager wouldn't even come up, so I forcibly powered it off. Then it took a very long time to boot up. It got stuck again, and I powered it off, and then since then when I turn it on it seems to take a very long time loading up, only to come to a black screen, with or without the mouse pointer. Did I somehow mess up Explorer? Is the BIOS fried? Do I need to reinstall Windows and can I do it without losing the hard drive's contents?

I'm afraid I might have trouble updating VGMaps, including the Maps Of The Month tonight, if I can't restore it somehow.

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: What's wrong with my computer?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 03:34:23 pm »
Are you still using Windows XP? Because with the extended support that recently ended, it's now become much more vulnerable to malware attacks, especially if you're using Internet Explorer to surf the web (which is about as safe as having sex with an old, pierced condom). If not, try booting into Safe Mode (hold F8 after starting your computer) just to see if Windows will at least start properly.

Afterward, I'd start by scanning your system for malwares of any kind; I suggest RogueKiller followed by ComboFix, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, AdwCleaner and then your anti-virus of choice, and all of that after booting in Safe Mode. If you still don't find anything, then I'd start considering re-installing Windows but only after backing up your hard drive or at least the relevant content, assuming your hard drive isn't defective and thus the cause of your troubles.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:05:32 pm »
Out of curiosity, is the default view for that folder thumbnail view? That could be why. I'm not sure why it would cause the other problems you mentioned, but a virus scan is a good idea. If it does turn out to be the thumbnail thing, you can use any program with a file picker dialog to navigate to the folder, and then use that window (which should default to List view) to cut/paste the files inside to a separate folder temporarily in order to change the default view.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Trop

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 10:52:06 pm »
I think Peardian is right.  Your computer may think it has to calculate and display info for all those images.  In fact it may still be trying to spite the shut down.  If you can get it up try an alt ctrl del to see what's running and to see what's sucking down the most power.  I think there's also a temp folder in windows like there is in web browsers, you could try clearing that.  I crashed XP once trying to load an oversized Image and had to reboot several time before things got back to normal.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 06:18:12 am »
Sorry for jumping straight into malware terrority. I never display thumbnails when browsing directories so it never even came to mind that it could be a problem.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 07:54:05 am »
It was indeed in thumbnail view, for a folder with over 10000 photos.  I thought I was pretty patient with it though, before attempting to load up the Task Manager, though as I said, it refused to come up, and my patience eventually ran out and I forcibly shut it down.  After doing so twice I was afraid I messed up Explorer or some other key file.

I tried the F8-at-startup thing and eventually (though not the first few times) it gave me a chance to try the last known configuration that worked.  It was still really slow to boot up but eventually it started up ScanDisk on its own and deleted some bad entries.  It started up fine again.  I made a Restore Point just in case - for some reason on that particular computer I didn't have any previous... odd... and rebooted again.  It was really slow and I was afraid I missed my chance to get work done on it but it eventually got back to where it should.

So, it does work, but it might have extended boot-up time now.  Like instead of a couple minutes, over ten.  I wonder if I need to defrag it or consider getting a new hard drive specifically for the OS.  If the two times it worked last night was only a fluke, I should look for a Vista disc, not just to reinstall, but to do a particular Vista Black Screen of Death fix that a friend mentioned.

Thanks for the help, everyone.