Author Topic: Rolando (iPhone/iPod Touch)  (Read 15709 times)

Offline Revned

Rolando (iPhone/iPod Touch)
« on: March 14, 2009, 10:29:05 pm »
Felt like sharing this one with you all. The levels are vector graphics but the format is very simple. I just need to figure out some details regarding the "sprites", which shouldn't be too difficult. This example is just the first level without any decorations.

User posted image

Offline Revned

RE: Rolando (iPhone/iPod Touch)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 08:14:14 pm »
Getting there.... It turns out that I'll have to do some special cases for most of the objects that aren't just grass. Here's an almost complete version of the first level:

User posted image

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 08:50:56 pm »
Impressive job! But how the heck do you just look at data and magically figure out what the hell it means!?

No seriously, I'm just always impressed when people manage to figure out things like that. I'm not sure I'd be able to. I'm pretty much the opposite of John Nash in "A Beautiful Mind" who could make out patterns where there were none, seeing none where there should be plenty to see.

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 10:25:38 pm »
Thanks! It's really easy, just plain xml with coordinates and stuff. The hard part is figuring out all the special cases.

I don't suppose many of you have gotten a chance to play this. I'd recommend it if you ever get a chance. It "borrows" quite a bit from Loco Roco, but it's fun anyway.

Offline Revned

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 10:29:02 pm »
I'm getting really close. Just about all of the non-trivial decorations have seemingly arbitrary scale factors that I've been tweaking. My code is a mess, but most of the maps are looking great. I hope to be finished within a week.

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 12:28:47 am »
This looks impressive. Which programming language are you using for writing the code?

Offline Revned

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 02:46:56 am »
Java. If I were to start over, I'd choose something with better text processing capabilities. I just kind of hacked it together as I figured things out.

Offline Revned

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 10:52:40 pm »
PNGOUTing now. I'm not "done", because the developer is releasing two levels a week until the sequel is released this summer. I also plan to change a couple of things in a few maps, but this is good enough for now.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 12:12:23 am »
Thanks to Revned, we have an iPod section now...

Offline Revned

Re: Rolando (iPhone/iPod Touch)
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 02:34:18 pm »
Yay necroposting! I finally got around to tweaking/cropping/header-ing those additional levels I mentioned in my post above, so this is finally actually done. Good thing, too, because I only have one ancient iOS device and I'm not convinced that this game will be easily playable in the distant future.