Author Topic: Now I'm really getting excited for the Wii  (Read 9113 times)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
Now I'm really getting excited for the Wii
« on: August 04, 2006, 12:38:12 am »
With UbiSoft announcing 7 launch titles, a couple in my interest range, I am soo looking forward to getting my gruby paws on the Wii. I was afraid that publishers wouldn't take Nintendo up on producing FPS games for the system, but now that FarCry, Call of Duty 3, Medal of Honor, Metroid 3, and Red Steel are coming out at or close to launch, I'll be in FPS heaven for a long time. Of course that is assuming that the controller is worth its salt. The Nintendo Fusion tour is headed to Cleveland. I'll have to see if I can get up there.

---

Cool beans

Offline DarkWolf

RE: Now I'm really getting excited for the Wii
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 07:04:51 am »
Other than Goldeneye, I can't really play console FPS games.  I'm just to used to the keyboard / mouse combo.  Plus with PC FPS games you can usually make your own maps and there are modding possibilities.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 07:14:53 am »
While I like the mouse/keyboard combo, the Wii's controller has posibility that shouldn't be dismissed until we have some hands on time.

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 07:51:55 am »
FPSes are all over the spectrum for me, in terms of interest/non-interest and I don't think it has to do with whether it's on the consoles or PC.

I've played Halo on the PC just because of the hype behind Halo (and I'll probably play Halo 2 on the PC once Windows Vista comes out).  But just to see what the hype was about (and was a little disappointed, but at least I'm allowed to criticize it.

I've played Doom 3 because of my nostalgia with the original Doom.

I've played most James Bond 007 games, and they're okay.  Nothing seems to touch GoldenEye in terms of fun, though.

I'm interested in Half-Life (2) because of all the physics and stuff, but haven't actually played it yet.

I enjoyed TimeSplitters: Future Perfect a lot more than I thought I would, and my brother loved the ability to create stages - despite the fact that he generally doesn't like FPSes...

Metroid Prime, if you call it an FPS despite Nintendo's insistence that it's an FPA, is cool.

But generally, if it's another one of those WWII games (other than the original Wolfenstein 3-D), or another one of those squad-based counter-terrorism things, if it's anything realistic or generic, I'm turned right off.

But yes, the Wii controller should hopefully turn the genre all around, and then all those people that need their "mature" games will turn to the Wii.  After dispatching some Yakuza with the Wii controller as a sword and a gun in Red Steel, it will feel pretty lame to just push a button while aiming with analogue sticks in Halo 3.  I tried it at E3, and despite being overly sensitive as a gun and seemingly undersensitive as a sword, it was still more natural, and I already felt that FPSes would be awkward to play the "old" way, whether with analogue sticks or a mouse.