Author Topic: The Legend Of Zelda: Master Sword / Hylian Shield replicas  (Read 36044 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
The Legend Of Zelda: Master Sword / Hylian Shield replicas
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:05:56 am »

The short form public service announcement: the guy who makes those sword and shield replicas as seen at fiberglassblades.com won't be taking any more orders ever again very soon.  If you want any of them, order them!

The long rant:

I've been hoping to get a good-quality replica of the Master Sword and Hylian Shield (from The Legend Of Zelda series) for some time now.  There are many of them on ebay and elsewhere, and yet they often look quite different from each other.  Oddly, the supposedly "official" Master Sword I saw at ThinkGeek.com looks undetailed, the hilt is especially bad (and is probably the worst I've seen).  There are other ones where the shape/colour/size of the blade or hilt is wrong, or it just looks overall cheap or shoddy.  The shields similarly have a range of quality and accuracy.

The best replicas I have ever seen are from fiberglassblades.com.  (No, he didn't ask me to advertise for them.)  It's just one guy making various sword and shield replicas; from Zelda, he's got the Master Sword and Hylian Shield from both Ocarina Of Time and Twilight Princess.  From Ocarina Of Time he also has the Mirror Shield (N64 version, not 3DS).  Ooh, shiny.  They are primarily fiberglass as opposed to steel, so they are light, decently durable, and "convention-safe", if I wanted to use them in cosplay as opposed to just display.  I'm not a cosplayer, though, but again, these are the most accurate I've seen, which is important for display.  They're probably the best I can find as long as I don't need them for battle.  :P  (And if you're wondering, I'm leaning towards the Ocarina Of Time versions.)  These are the same ones used in The Zelda Project, which is a testament to their accuracy.

I guess, as usual, it's "you get what you pay for".  I could get any of the inexpensive, cheap ones from other guys, or I could spend $495 (US) each on a sword (with sheath) and shield from this guy.  So, $990, before shipping, which will be another $75.  Not to mention possible customs fees since I'm in Canada.  Ouch.

I emailed him last Friday (after seeing that he mentioned in his ebay auctions that he wasn't planning on doing many more) and he said that he would be taking orders for only another week, and then he's done with doing these.  So that means I have to decide ASAP, like in the next couple days, before it's too late, if I really want them.

If there is regret, I know that if it's easier to regret spending too much money (which can eventually be saved up again), than to miss out on something that will never be made again.  So logically, I know I should, if for sure I want it.  I guess the question is if I really want this enough to forego what $1000 could otherwise get me.  Rent/mortagage?  New computer?  The other current-gen consoles I don't have and a few games for each?

Would it be socially unacceptable if I told anyone that if they are going to give me birthday or Christmas presents this year anyway, to just give me the money they would have spent instead?  Especially since it'd be after I would have bought these?

Am I just overthinking this and should I just go for it?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: The Legend Of Zelda: Master Sword / Hylian Shield replicas
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:35:43 pm »
What the hey.  I got notification of my bonus at work today.  Might as well just go for it then.  Mounting will be tricky but I'll figure it out after I get it.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:56:33 pm »
Reading your first post again made me feel much better about ordering 200$ worth of videogame soundtracks from Amazon.co.jp!

About your purchase, hey, if you've got the money to spare, why not treat yourself to something special? You'll have ample opportunities to regret not buying stuff if/when you start a family of your own and are too strapped for cash for stuff like this.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 06:14:08 pm »
Well, I finally got them yesterday!  :D  It may have been nearly fifteen months to wait for them, but I love 'em!  They are a little heavy, though.  Would be tricky to carry them around all day.  I may have to work out a bit if I ever decide to cosplay with them instead of just displaying them.  Anyone know of a place to get sword/shield wall mounts?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 06:56:23 pm »
They both look incredibly good, the sword more so than the shield I think. I'm curious as to their exact weight; mind sharing some numbers?

As for wall mounts, I do have a blunt short sword in my living room but it came with its own mount so I don't have anything to suggest on that front :(.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 10:44:12 pm »
Those are beautiful! So shiny! :D
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 11:03:44 am »
Yes indeed, so beautiful and shiny.

I tried to weigh them but I don't have a good scale.  The sword and the sheath weren't heavy enough to register on my bathroom scale, and the shield was too big to fully put on and still be able to read the weight, so I had to weigh myself, and then myself with one of the items and subtract for the difference, but with inconsistent readings, I can only get approximate weights.

The Master Sword is about 2 lbs., the sheath seems to be slightly less.  The Hylian Shield is between 7 and 8 lbs.

The Hylian Shield maybe isn't too heavy if I ever were to cosplay with it, it's just the first day I had it I was sick (still am, slightly) and exhausted since I just got back from work, when I was trying to take pictures mimicking Miyamoto's pose with a Master Sword and Hylian Shield, so I was repeatedly trying to hold the shield high, so that's probably why I was complaining about them being heavy.  If I were to cosplay, I'd like to be able to carry the shield on my back and yet be able to retrieve it easily, as well as sheathing/unsheathing the sword with ease.  Maybe it'd be a lot to ask to be as quick as Link is in the game, but I'd like to be able to get them from my back to a ready position without looking clumsy at least.

Again, that's only if I do choose to cosplay as Link.  I don't know if I'm the type.  I dressed as Marty McFly last year when Christopher Lloyd came to town.  I was actually kind of proud that I found an orange puffy vest with the correct number of "puffs", correct number of buttons, and a very close match of colour (unlike many other Marty McFlys at that convention), and details like the calculator watch, etc., but still, despite its '80sness, it was still all just "normal" clothes.  It takes a bit more confidence to dress up as someone like Link.  But hey, at least it won't hurt my wallet too much if I tried...I've already bought the most expensive things.  Maybe I should also get some small keys and a Boss key from fangamer.net...

Offline tylerkendo

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 08:04:35 am »
You should post your pic with shield and sword  :)