Author Topic: Entire Zelda series, mounted on the wall - from imgur  (Read 13264 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Entire Zelda series, mounted on the wall - from imgur
« on: January 13, 2016, 11:27:21 am »

Now that's a creative use of frames, images, and games.  This McPhage guy has me jealous.  As explained on the imgur page, "[t]he mounts are designed to let you remove the games in a snap, whenever you want—but still hold them securely and discreetly."  So it's pretty without sacrificing the games.  Neato!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Entire Zelda series, mounted on the wall - from imgur
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 08:07:11 am »
It looks like McPhage almost has them arranged in the same layout as the first Zelda dungeon:

EDIT: Now that I actually read his post, I see that was intentional.  Might have worked better with consistent-sized frames.  If he gets one more I imagine he will bump down the bottom row to get closer to the layout.

I also like his Mega Man layout, fitting that the first eight games have a physical release (as opposed to 9 and 10 which are digital):

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 08:17:56 am by JonLeung »

Offline LinkedToTheWall

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 08:44:48 pm »
Thanks!  I'm glad you like it.  It's one of the few things I've done that look as cool in real life as they do in my head.  I think the Megaman setup looks sweet in real life, too, but man did I take a terrible photo of it, and trying to salvage it via photoshop made it look like a funhouse mirror.  They're not my games, though, so it'll be a little while before I can take another.

I agree it's not an exact representation of the dungeon, but... I dunno, I kinda like it better that way.  It's the games coming together to resemble that shape, rather than me doing things to specifically recreate it, if that makes any sense.  I figured it was close enough that people would guess it, but... not many people did; generally people just complained about the haphazard arrangement.  Yes, if I add another box (especially a 5x7), I'll move the entry area down.  Minish Cap would be good in its own box, I think—maybe the cart resting on a lillypad?  Although there's not much room for it to go further down before it ends up behind my desk—nor up, before it hits my ceiling :-)  It's really quite large!

Quick poll here: do the Tingle games belong on the wall?  I was thinking no, that they've got a Zelda character, but that doesn't make them Zelda games (much like Mario Kart has Mario series characters, but I wouldn't put them on a Mario wall).  But I'm not sure.

~Mark Josef
Linked to the Wall — check out our Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/997859281/linked-to-the-wall-video-game-cartridge-mounts

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:39:51 am »
I think Mario Kart games are considered "Mario games" but being in its own genre and with multiple entries, it would certainly be fair to call it a separate series as well.  Even games with the same genre (such as Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi) could be considered separate series from each other based on the narrative or engine (though the upcoming Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam converges them, but could just be a once-off or occasional crossover while retaining their "seriesness").  When counting the main Mario games, I always used to lump all the games prior to the "New" series together, but when I think about it, aren't Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy and Galaxy 2 really in their own series?  Instead of one "main" Mario platforming series there could be two or three.  And then there are the Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario games.  Some have Mario, but most now do not, and are now fairly distinct.  So it's really about how you want to distinguish them, after all, it's your wall!

My opinion: if you count Mario Kart, you'd probably be pressed to include other Mario spin-offs, like Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Party, etc.  But then it will get really really big.  That'd probably be the best justification for separating each series.

I see you said you don't count the Zelda CD-i games - fair enough, there's enough of a case to disavow them.  I don't think anyone would complain if you added the Tingle games if you wanted to bulk up your Zelda display.  It's not like there are many.  If Tingle gets a dozen entries which have no Link or Zelda at all, then you might consider splitting them.

Offline LinkedToTheWall

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 09:54:43 am »
Heh, yeah.  The biggest reason I went with Zelda instead of Mario (well, second biggest, since I like Zelda more) is that it's a lot harder to tell where to draw the line for what should be included.  Super Mario World: definitely.  Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island?  Of course.  Yoshi's Island DS?  I... guess?  It feels like it's getting a bit far afield.  And then the sports games, and the RPGs, and the party games and... yeah.  Zelda had a lot fewer edge cases, and most of them I've included already (Hyrule Warriors, Link's Crossbow Training).  Tingle games are up in the air, and the CD-i games I'm fine with saying no.  Third reason I did Zelda was my copy of New Super Mario Bros. 2 was missing at the time, and there was no way I was going to buy another copy of that.  By far my least favorite Mario game.