Author Topic: My mapping projects  (Read 32123 times)

Offline dark_lord_zagato@yahoo.co

My mapping projects
« on: March 22, 2016, 12:35:39 pm »
In Progress

Toobin' [NES]

Stumped... (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Beavis and Butt-Head: Bunghole In One [PC]
Can't view maps because no freedom of movement. I actually have the original CDs for both of these games but i'm not sure how exactly I would hack a PC game.

Beavis and Butt-Head: Do-U [PC]
Can't get the HUD or the sprites off the screen.

Double Dragon [Game Gear]
I can't seem to find a ROM of this game that actually works.

Atlas Videos has my permission to use my maps in their Youtube videos.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 11:32:52 pm by dark_lord_zagato@yahoo.co »

Re: My mapping projects
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 01:55:37 pm »
I'll have to fix some of my Roger Rabbit maps after i'm done with Noid. Apparently you can get into those locked buildings after all. Man, all these years and i never knew...

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 05:21:43 pm »
Are you going to map both Yo! Noid and Kamen no Ninja Hanamaru? I know both games feature very similar if not identical levels in terms of structure, but it would be really cool to switch from one version of a level to the other just to see how radical the changes are.

And about Roger Rabbit, it's always both weird and cool to realized you completely overlooked part of a game way after the fact :).
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 05:50:08 pm »
Yeah, i'm mapping both versions of this game at the same time. When i finish a stage i can toggle back and forth between the maps and see how none of the items move. It's great for double checking for errors.

I only found out about the locks when i watched Mike Matei play Roger Rabbit on Youtube, but yeah, the biggest shocker about that is one of the locked buildings is an alternate store. :)

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 01:34:10 pm »
I made these alternate world maps for Little Ninja Brothers just for fun. The pallette swap effects the entire world map when you enter or leave the snowfield and if you use codes to walk through the mountains you can avoid swapping it back. In the first image I turned the snowfield into the "sunfield," and in the second one the entire map is winterized.

I also have a map of Kung Fu Heroes done in the same format as Ninja Boy but I can't submit it because there's already maps posted for it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 02:25:04 pm by dark_lord_zagato@yahoo.co »

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 12:46:42 pm »
New projects.

Beavis and Butt-Head [Genesis]
Beavis and Butt-Head [Game Gear]

I think i might have figured out how to map Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball too. I made some codes that move the guy in the back of the field after he picks up the ball. It's going to be time consuming though, and will probably take a while just to map the Kingdome.

7E0784?? Horizontal Axis
7E0785?? Horizontal Axis x256
7E0786?? Vertical Axis
7E0787?? Vertical Axis x256
7E101E80 Doesn't cut back to batter screen after you pick up the ball, stay on field forever
7E10BC03 Freeze background animation

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 04:39:15 pm »
Next up, Magic Knight Rayearth (Game Gear) and Royal Stone (Game Gear).

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 10:39:55 pm »
I have something to share now that i'm finishing up Lunar Walking School. The fixed battle in the MAN'S Dungeon can actually be won if you play this on something with a memory editor. Set RAM address C526 and C527 to 00 when you fight Gear and it will go down in one hit. You get an item called "Manliness" which is normally impossible to get, and when you deliver it to the person who asked for it he doesn't even acknowledge that you have it. Oh well.

Doing research on more Beavis and Butt-Head PC games now.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 07:58:36 am »
He doesn't acknowledge your "Manliness"?  Is that a critique on the perception of masculinity?  Of all the items where it doesn't matter if you have it or not...though you normally can't obtain it...sounds like there's something to dissect here, or maybe not.  :P

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 12:25:55 pm »
Heh, that's pretty much right. The only two characters in your party at the time are both female and the dojo master insists on having only male students, so you have to find a different teacher after losing this battle.

Still, the fact this item was a guaranteed drop in a fixed battle makes me think the programmers were considering multiple branches to the story at one point and eventually decided against it.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 01:28:37 pm »
Oh, okay, so the dojo master is a sexist.  I thought it was some kind of more subtle jab at society or something.  Or it could be as well still, I just didn't know the original context which makes it fairly concrete.

Coding it in as an item could be part of that joke or statement or whatever.  I know that if I was making a game I would do something like this, coding an implied item to be an actual item (in the in-game sense), even if I never intended it to be used.

Well, thinking too deep on this now.

Aren't there web sites that catalogue all sorts of unused/cut content?  Even though I don't recall seriously perusing it, I recalling hearing about The Cutting Room Floor but now that I Google it I can't tell if it's merely down or if it's blocked at work.  Anyway, if you're the first one to find this out, while thanks for sharing it here, it might be a tidbit worth sharing with them (or other game historians) too.

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 02:06:07 pm »
It must just be your workplace filter, the link works just fine over here.

And you're right, i should share with them, the thing is... i've never edited a wiki before. I guess that's one of those things i should really learn how to do.

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 12:04:44 am »
Extras from Zombie Hunter. I found out how to change the background colors into one solid color while I was mapping so I made a sprite sheet.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 12:38:39 pm by dark_lord_zagato@yahoo.co »

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 10:16:04 pm »
Magic Knight Rayearth on Saturn just became plausible. I got Yabause up and running and i've finally made some position modifier codes to get into inaccessible areas.

060FDB4C ????      Horizantal Axis Position
060FDB50 ????      Vertical Axis Position

This is going to be my new long term project. If I can figure out how to deal with the Forest of Silence, which is a repeating maze much like the Lost Woods, I should be in good shape.

Edit: I found a good way to map the Forest of Silence. All I have to do is walk around in the black area, which is normally off limits, and I don't have to worry about the game warping me all over the place.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 12:24:01 am by dark_lord_zagato@yahoo.co »

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 09:23:54 pm »
I just submitted everything that was ready to go for Magic Knight Rayearth. It covers about the first 1/3 of the game.

It looks like Yabause doesn't handle the water graphics very well. I had to leave some effects out of the Great Whirlpool where the sun was hitting the water, and some of the rooms in the Eternal Ice Cave were so bad I had to swap the water out with the water from other rooms. I've played through the whole game and know there's at least a few more places where i'll have to replace water backgrounds.

I spent a long time thinking about what to do with all the chests and hidden items. Since everything in this game has it's own icon I just put the treasures on little white cards so all of the hidden Rainbow Amulets would be easier to see.