Author Topic: What are the FIVE BEST (and EXCLUSIVE) games on each console?  (Read 17125 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
What are the FIVE BEST (and EXCLUSIVE) games on each console?
« on: October 27, 2016, 11:48:17 am »
As it came up with conversation with a friend, and as I debate if I want to more seriously collect games, and as something I could talk about on a future YouTube video, and as something I was always wondering anyway, I was wondering if we could name our five favourite games on each major home console.  (Or you could mention some minor consoles, too, if you really want, that'd be interesting, especially in the '90s.)  Handhelds and computers, too.

But let's add a rule, to make things interesting.  This will either make this more difficult or more easy, depending on how you look at it.

The rule is, the games mentioned have to be absolutely EXCLUSIVE for that platform during its "active years".

For example, I would say Final Fantasy VII for the PlayStation wouldn't count, as a port for the PC came out only eight months later.  But Super Mario Bros. 3 wouldn't be disqualified on the NES just because of the remastered version of it included in Super Mario All-Stars on the Super NES.  Other collections even with minimal or no upgrading might be okay too, like the six Mega Man games on the NES shouldn't be disqualified because of Mega Man: Anniversary Collection and Mega Man: Legacy Collection which came out years later.  Battletoads on the Genesis doesn't negate Battletoads on the NES, so that's fair game, because for the purposes of this, I would only compete the Genesis against other consoles its generation, i.e. the Super NES., even if the Genesis did compete with the NES for a couple years.

Basically, I'm trying to get at, what are the five games that you think are the best on each console, and when mentioned, every gamer understands what console you mean, without it having to be said?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 11:49:47 am by JonLeung »

Offline Trop

Re: What are the FIVE BEST (and EXCLUSIVE) games on each console?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 01:48:45 pm »
Wait, are you trying to get our individual opinions of the best and worst or the overall game community's opinion of best and worst?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 02:30:32 pm »
I guess I wasn't clear.  I suppose you should mention your own personal favourites, as that would make the most sense, and if we get a lot of the same responses for the same console, the games that might be more fundamentally/objectively good (if that is actually a thing) would emerge.  I suppose I could always look at GameFAQs, as I believe they have a top listing for each console, but we could get more discussion if we talked about it amongst ourselves here. Besides, GameFAQs would probably be skewed towards games where walkthroughs are more necessary, especially if it's based on message board activity.

One part of this came from earlier today when a friend said he couldn't name five good Wii U games, so I challenged him to name five good PlayStation 4 and Xbox One games.  He did, but unfortunately for him, three of the PS4 games and four of the Xbox One games he mentioned were not actually exclusive.  Then I owned him by naming NINE good and ACTUALLY exclusive Wii U games, and I did it WITHOUT even mentioning any of the Mario games or even Super Smash Bros. (just to prove a point).

But as mentioned, besides current-gen fanboy throwdowns, I have other reasons for being curious.  And I should probably edit this or my first post if/when I get around to figuring some out myself.  For some, five is too little.  For others (as my friend showed), five might be too many, especially given the exclusivity rule I insist on here.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:38:58 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Trop

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 11:55:50 am »
Well for N64 I'd say
Zelda 5
Zelda 6
Aidyn Chronicles
Mischief Makers
Donkey Kong 64
for the best.  But I haven't played enough judge the worst.  But the 1st bomberman 64 game was kinda bad.  So was doom 64.  tetrisphere and turok rage wars were pretty dumb.  And I could not make heads or tails of yoshi's story

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 01:06:47 pm »
For the original Xbox, I only played a handful of exclusive titles so basically I would have to write them all down.

I list them from best to worst:
Breakdown
Voodoo Vince
Dino Crisis 3
Galleon
Rallisport Challenge 2

For all other systems it's difficult because of the massive amount of (maybe exclusive) games that I have played on them. I will try some:

Nintendo 64:
The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
Banjo-Kazooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Super Mario 64
Duke Nukem: Zero Hour

Game Boy Advance:
Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
Golden Sun
Turbo Turtle Adventure
Duke Nukem Advance
Gadget Racers / Choro Q Advance 1

Super Nintendo:
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Bonk
Secret Of Evermore
The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
Seiken Densetsu 3

Playstation:
Final Fantasy IX
Silent Hill
Fighting Force 2
Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed (There has been a PC game of the same name, but that game was totally different)
Duke Nukem: Time to Kill

Game Boy Color:
The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Seasons
Tomb Raider: Curse Of The Sword
Pokémon Gold Version
Wario Land II
The Fish Files

Game Boy:
The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Super Mario Land 2 - 6 Golden Coins
Metroid II
Pokémon Yellow Version
Donkey Kong Land
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:02:54 am by JonLeung »

Offline Antonio94

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 04:37:51 am »
I mostly concern Playstation, Xbox, and PC so I guess I will only gives idea about those 3:
1) Playstation: God of War trilogy - Persona 4 & 5 - Resident Evil 4 - FF XII - Bloodborne
2) Xbox (since it's from Microsoft so there will be games which available on PC. But still I hope it's legit): Halo trilogy (Halo Combat Evolved - Halo 2 - Halo 3) - Fable - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Gear of War trilogy (except GoW 4 of course) - Tomb Raider
3) PC: Warcraft III - Starcraft - Diablo II (sorry, I'm used to be Blizzard fanboy) - Dragon Age Origins - Dota 2

Offline mardot

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 06:10:20 am »
For N 64 I think the best game is - Banjo-Kazooie

For Super Nintendo - Chip and Del

For PlayStation - Need for Speed: Most wanted 2

Animals !! Taurus Man and Taurus Woman Compatibility

« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 04:55:28 am by mardot »

Offline Buckaroo

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 02:22:01 pm »
Sega CD

Dark Wizard
Shining Force CD
Third World War
Lunar Silver Star
Lunar Eternal Blue