Author Topic: Wonderland (PC) Remake maps took place of original game maps?  (Read 7847 times)

Offline ohoulihan

I happened to notice that there were some new maps for the remake of Wonderland on PC. Then I noticed that the maps for the original version were gone. The remake maps are named exactly the same as the original. Coincidence? Where did the original maps go? Anyone? Thanks...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Wonderland (PC) Remake maps took place of original game maps?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 03:01:28 pm »
Not sure how remade maps having the exact same name is a coincidence... when two or more people call you by your name, is that a coincidence?  I mean, the name of the area is the name of the area, what else would it be called?  :P  I rename all files to be consistent when appearing on VGMaps.com.

Unfortunately I have a gap in my VGMaps.com backups between 2012 and 2017, so I can't see exactly what happened, as all the current Wonderland maps were submitted in 2017, and if these did replace other ones then the originals must have been contributed sometime after my 2012 backup, and I do not think I would have them anymore.

My guess is that RoberTime submitted maps and I determined that they were better and worth replacing the original ones.

I don't replace maps often.  When I do, it's not usually an easy decision.  But if new map submissions are better, and I am confident that the new submitter did not merely add to the originally existing map, then the old maps have to go, no sense in redundancy.  I don't recall replacing maps if new ones are only slightly better, it's always had to be significant.

If the original maps were yours, I apologize.  If you feel that your maps have value that I have overlooked, let me know.

Offline ohoulihan

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 08:33:53 pm »
Sorry. Perhaps I wasn't clear with how I stated my question? By saying "coincidence"? I meant that I wondered if it had been a mistake to replace the other version. I actually had saved the original files and they were clearly from the same game, just an older version. I noticed as I was saving a copy on my windows computer that it was autoreplacing the old versions. Thanks for taking the time to answer at any rate. Take care.

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 12:42:10 pm »
You can still view them on archive.org.
I don't think it's really an older game version because that 2002 Wonderland game has always been a 3D title. It's just a 2D top-down map of the 3D game. But with a higher resolution. I wished the 3D version had the same resolution.