Author Topic: 2018/02: Sonic Mania (PC) - G.E.R.  (Read 12110 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2018/02: Sonic Mania (PC) - G.E.R.
« on: January 31, 2018, 07:52:17 pm »

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to G.E.R.'s Sonic Mania (PC) maps.

Taking place after Sonic & Knuckles, Doctor Eggman sends some EggRobos to Angel Island to retrieve the Phantom Ruby.  Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are sent back to areas from their previous adventures, and must chase down Doctor Eggman and his EggRobos - now the Hard Boiled Heavies - to stop the Phantom Ruby from being used for evil.

The latest 2D Sonic game (as of now) is actually pretty good, very much in the vein as the original games from the Genesis.  In fact, many Zones from those early games return, such as Green Hill Zone and Chemical Plant Zone (gotta love that music).  Fitting, as this game commemorates the series' 25th anniversary.  Even if not entirely original, there are some nice surprises, and it's still a standout retro game, in an era where retro games are a dime a dozen.  Plus, it's always good to see a Sonic game fully mapped!

So to recognize the effort put into mapping the latest hedgehog game for Groundhog Day, G.E.R.'s Sonic Mania (PC) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for February 2018.

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: 2018/02: Sonic Mania (PC) - G.E.R.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 10:29:46 pm »
Congratulations on the award G.E.R.!

Modern 2D games rarely get mapped because of the relative complexity of their graphics so it's nice to see that some people are still trying :).
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 12:47:22 am »
The biggest problem for me is the missing ability to separate all the layers with a simple button press. So also congratulations on completing these maps, G.E.R.!

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 01:45:23 am »
I am glad that my maps become "Map Of The Mount" on VGMaps. During this work, I finded many interested moments: Three exits of the level (Studiopolis), hidden teleportations ("warp doors" objects), looping system in levels etc. But it was not so difficult to do as maps for Sonic 4, because there are no way to visualisation levels, only HEX view.