Author Topic: Sega Genesis Mini - full map set  (Read 34854 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Sega Genesis Mini - full map set
« on: August 24, 2019, 02:11:10 pm »

MAPS FOR ALL 42 GAMES OF THE SEGA GENESIS MINI
Alex Kidd In The Enchanted Castle      Alisia Dragoon      Altered Beast      Beyond Oasis      Castle Of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse      Castlevania: Bloodlines      Columns      Comix Zone      Contra: Hard Corps      Darius     Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine      Dynamite Headdy      Earthworm Jim      Ecco The Dolphin      Eternal Champions      Ghouls 'N Ghosts      Golden Axe      Gunstar Heroes      Kid Chameleon      Landstalker: The Treasures Of King Nole      Light Crusader      Mega Man: The Wily Wars (E)      Monster World IV (J)      Phantasy Star (IV): The End Of The Millennium      Road Rash II      Shining Force: The Legacy Of Great Intention      Shinobi III: Return Of The Ninja Master      Sonic The Hedgehog      Sonic The Hedgehog 2      Sonic The Hedgehog Spinball      Space Harrier II      Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition      Streets Of Rage 2      Strider      Super Fantasy Zone (E)      Tetris     Thunder Force III      ToeJam & Earl      Vectorman      Virtua Fighter 2      Wonder Boy In Monster World      World Of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck

ORIGINAL POST:

The Sega Genesis Mini comes out in less than a month, loaded with 40 classic Genesis games.  As with the NES Classic Edition and the Super NES Classic Edition, it would be cool to see how far along we've already come to mapping this and how many more could still be mapped.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 06:20:46 pm by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Sega Genesis Mini - full map set
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 09:43:14 pm »
Thanks to G.E.R. for letting me know that Alex Kidd In The Enchanted Castle wasn't actually completed, as it was missing the aerial "To The Sky" stage, and then submitting it so that the first game alphabetically is now actually complete!  To think I was wrong in thinking that was complete for 13 years when it actually wasn't, sheesh...

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 01:46:25 am »
I think that DarkWolf don't ripped this level, because it non-platformed level without objects. It includes only three small platform and enemies with a bombs or 200 JPY.

Another thing surprises me. It seems that SEGA abandoned Sonic 3 Knuckles, because this game don't rerelised in 201x years (along STH-1, STH-2, STH-CD, SA1 and SA2).
May be the reason is remakes of this levels is placed in other games? Only two levels (Carvaval Night and Launght Base) hasn't various remakes in a last games.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 08:17:10 pm »
Concerning Sonic the Hedgehog 3, there (possibly/most likely) seems to be a long unresolved issue concerning music rights, specifically because of the involvement of Michael Jackson (there are many recent YouTube videos on the subject).

Given how complicated and expensive music rights settlements can be as well as Michael's involvement which is still being denied officially, it is most likely the reason why Sonic 3 & Knuckles hasn't been ported to any modern systems, only emulated. It also explains why the Sonic & Knuckles Collection for PC released in 1997 featured different music for several levels that included samples most likely taken from Jackson (Carnival Night, Launch Base) or where the music is basically an existing unreleased track (Hard Times by The Jetzons for Ice Cap).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:17:55 pm by TerraEsperZ »
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 12:28:41 pm »
Congratulations on the 20000th post, TerraEsperZ!  At least, that's what I assume "msg20000" refers to...

Anyway, The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time had a chant in the Fire Temple removed and EarthBound also had some music that was replaced in later versions.  So to Nintendo it was apparently worth replacing the offending/infringing bits.

So while Sega could have included Sonic The Hedgehog 3 with some kind of similar workaround, maybe they just don't think it's worth the trouble to replace the music, or fundamentally don't want to change anything about a classic game.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 02:45:55 pm »
George s (or his brother, I guess) submitted the screens for Columns!

Offline GHS

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 01:52:36 pm »
How can games like Road Rash and Space Harrier be mapped?

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 04:35:41 am »
I find the Earthworm Jim maps for SNES in the atlas. If I remember it right, the SNES/Genesis maps is similary.
But I see that there are one map for EJ2 is missing. It's a not-platformed level between Villi People and Puppy Love Act 2. I just wanted to play this game a long time and I think that I will rip this level on next week.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 07:56:01 am »
Thanks, G.E.R., for submitted full maps of the Genesis versions of Earthworm Jim and its sequel, which I put up last night.  Surprised they haven't been mapped until now, and the first one checks another one off this list.

I guess I didn't mention yet: my brother got me a Sega Genesis Mini this past Christmas - though the only game I made time to play fully so far is Mega Man: The Wily Wars.  It was fun but I didn't think the three new Robot Masters were super great - but I guess they still have a legacy, because I more recently bought Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide (as well as Worlds Unite, its sequel), a comic series involving Mega Man and Sonic's worlds, obviously, and (though I'm sure they showed up in the Mega Man comics earlier,) I like that the three new Robot Masters are collectively referred to as the "Genesis Unit".

Offline GHS

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 02:05:25 pm »
anyone doing Light Crusader? I think I might be interested.

Offline Mika22

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 05:29:44 am »
Thanks, G.E.R., for submitted full maps of the Genesis versions of Earthworm Jim and its sequel, which I put up last night.  Surprised they haven't been mapped until now, and the first one checks another one off this list.

I guess I didn't mention yet: my brother got me a Sega Genesis Mini this past Christmas - though the only game I made time to play fully so far is Mega Man: The Wily Wars.  It was fun but I used it in this d-bal review because I thought it will make it easier to understand the benefits of this bulking and bodybuilding supplement. I didn't think the three new Robot Masters were super great - but I guess they still have a legacy, because I more recently bought Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide (as well as Worlds Unite, its sequel), a comic series involving Mega Man and Sonic's worlds, obviously, and (though I'm sure they showed up in the Mega Man comics earlier,) I like that the three new Robot Masters are collectively referred to as the "Genesis Unit".

You didn't think that the tree Robot Masters were great, wow I personally think that they are amazing plus the legacy that they have makes it more fun.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 08:19:57 am by Mika22 »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 03:17:29 pm »
G.E.R. has submitted the complete (I think) map for Light Crusader!  Yay!

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 03:41:39 am »
I never played Light Crusader and don't knew what is this game about, but I saw that this map would be interesting here (for Genesis Mini map set and for two user requests). However, we can see a review of a game on Youtube. This map include all all rooms and locations from the game (I found it by usind a cheat code and level select menu).

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 08:58:47 pm »
We now have maps of Ecco The Dolphin, thanks to Cleeem and Ecco the Dolphin Online!

Also thanks to them we have Ecco: The Tides Of Time and Ecco Jr. fully mapped now too!  While they're not included in the Sega Genesis Mini, they are still very welcome here on VGMaps.com!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 10:09:20 pm »
G.E.R. submitted a number of maps today for various games, including the rest of Contra: Hard Corps and the only "map" of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.  I looked it up; apparently the playfield is a dungeon.  Weird.