Author Topic: Sad Video Game Music  (Read 9695 times)

Offline mephea

Sad Video Game Music
« on: September 20, 2006, 03:26:06 pm »
While there are quite a few of these, i was piddling with my mp3 collection and i found my metroid metal directory.  I played the ending and like, that song, for some reason, just breaks my heart.  

I dunno why, but it just does.  Funny how some guy totally took that midi and redid it with real instruments and put all of that emotion into it.

*sigh*

Offline DarkWolf

RE: Sad Video Game Music
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 03:53:22 pm »
I don't know if you'd consider this sad, but I like "Tears" from King of Fighters '99, especially the arranged version.  Also the arranged version of "Farewell" from The Last Blade 2 is kind of sad.

Offline mephea

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 06:24:42 am »
things ive never heard, got links? o-0

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 10:05:20 am »
I've heard a lot of sad music, but not much from games though.

From memory, I remember the last part of the opening theme in Final Fantasy VI to be somewhat sad (the part where the soldiers are walking toward Narshe as the credits scroll by on the screen).

http://www.snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 (SPC format)

Also a big winner for me is the haunting "Invisible Sorrow", the music from the Undergound Tunnel level in both Castlevania 64 and Legacy Of Darkness. It's gentle and slow-paced, and to me just radiates loneliness and loss.

(Can't find the link to the USF right now)

One last song I remember is an OverClocked Remix of the Library music theme from Symphony Of The Night. It's done purely on a real piano, but it gets so intense at the end it just moves me. Music always has an intense effect on me.

http://djpretzel.web.aplus.net/songs/Castlevania_SotN_ScriabinsLongLibrary_OC_ReMix.mp3 (MP3 format)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 01:10:48 pm »
I'll see if I can post a sample of the two I mentioned.  They're in MP3 format, so I can't upload the full songs on my web space.