Author Topic: Mega Man Maps  (Read 553875 times)

Offline Will

Re: Mega Man Maps
« Reply #585 on: September 22, 2014, 06:28:52 am »
I've been looking through Mega Man Powered Up and it might be possible to reconstruct the maps making use of the construction mode, since the tiles are flat and 2D as opposed to the 3D graphics in gameplay. It may not be perfect to the actual gameplay, but it means one can finally map out Time Man's and Oil Man's stages.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #586 on: September 22, 2014, 08:47:56 am »
Interesting.  Is there also a construction mode for Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X?  Given that everyone seems to love Mega Man II so much, you'd think they would've also made a Powered Up 2...even if there aren't extra Robot Masters, to keep all games consistently at eight, it would be fun to play as them, as I hear is one of the features of the first Powered Up.

It would be nice to map up the remaining Mega Man games, because it really seems like Capcom doesn't care about Mega Man anymore, that it might actually be possible to have every Mega Man game mapped, if only briefly.  (Or at least the 2D ones.)

If you count each incarnation of Mega Man, I believe Mega Man is the character in the most video games, so the fact that we have most of the maps from the main games is certainly impressive already, but you know, at this point, why not a little more if possible, right?

Offline Will

« Reply #587 on: September 23, 2014, 05:06:57 am »
I'm afraid there isn't a construction mode for Maverick Hunter X as it is a direct remake of Mega Man X, without any extras. However the Sigma Fortress levels are heavily changed in layout, which means mapping them if possible is definitely worth it. Unless the 2.5D platforms can be centralised and measure in grid, the maps will have to be improvised somehow.

EDIT:

Further research reveals that capsule, heart and part upgrades are changed in the stages from the original. In addition the upgrades, ride armours and enemy placements are changed when playing as Vile.

ADDITIONAL EDIT:

The 3D RPG Megaman X Command Mission, has got a 2D minimap of the various areas that you explore. It doesn't rotate, but its kind of transparent so some touching would have to be applied to make it a finished map, otherwise its rather easy to rip and assemble. Also the game has a web like 2D map system of each zone.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:13:05 am by Will »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #588 on: December 03, 2014, 09:53:40 am »
Will has revised his Mega Man: Battle Network 2 maps.  The various systems' entry points are now labelled, and many areas are consolidated as you would expect (i.e., all the "rooms" of the same general area are now in a large image showing how they are all connected, like what Peardian did with his Super Mario RPG maps earlier).  This brings the count of 161 maps down to an even 100.  I much prefer having fewer larger maps that are more informative than more smaller maps that are disconnected.  Not saying everything in one game should be crammed into a single image, unless it's natural and intuitive to do so (like in an interconnected-enough setting like the castles in Castlevania) - in general, what Will Mallia has done here works well for most JRPGs, I would think.

As Will has informed me, this evening I will need to (re)upload two of the town maps as they are not showing up.  Ironically for a game all about being connected to the Internet, its maps were having a number of issues last night during the upload.

Offline Rew

« Reply #589 on: December 29, 2014, 09:55:27 pm »
I'm afraid there isn't a construction mode for Maverick Hunter X as it is a direct remake of Mega Man X, without any extras. However the Sigma Fortress levels are heavily changed in layout, which means mapping them if possible is definitely worth it. Unless the 2.5D platforms can be centralised and measure in grid, the maps will have to be improvised somehow.

EDIT:

Further research reveals that capsule, heart and part upgrades are changed in the stages from the original. In addition the upgrades, ride armours and enemy placements are changed when playing as Vile.

ADDITIONAL EDIT:

The 3D RPG Megaman X Command Mission, has got a 2D minimap of the various areas that you explore. It doesn't rotate, but its kind of transparent so some touching would have to be applied to make it a finished map, otherwise its rather easy to rip and assemble. Also the game has a web like 2D map system of each zone.

I know I'm late to the party here, but I'd love to see those Mega Man X Command Mission in-game maps, if you're able. :)
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #590 on: February 25, 2016, 09:52:22 am »
Played a little bit of Mega Man: Legacy Collection on the 3DS last evening.  Bought it primarily for the gold Mega Man amiibo (I guess I'm a sucker for those).  I guess if Capcom won't make new games we can all play the first six games yet again?  As if the previous Anniversary Collection and various eShop rereleases hadn't already given us the opportunity...  Though there are now Challenges to do, those are new, like trying to get through remixed areas or do boss rushes in a certain amount of time.

Though you probably won't necessarily NEED maps for them, maps for the Challenges should be easy enough to create, if they are non-random (or even if they are) and only comprised of rooms from existing games.  In any case, we can now add Legacy Collection to the list of mappable Mega Man games...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #591 on: February 13, 2017, 10:39:51 pm »
Related:

Wow, can't believe it's been months later and I've barely played any Mega Man: Legacy Collection at all.  Which makes my next question sound odd, since we're already talking about Mega Man on handhelds...

Would it be worth getting a PSP just to (or primarily to) play Mega Man: Powered Up and Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X?

Offline Revned

« Reply #592 on: February 13, 2017, 11:00:39 pm »
I played Powered Up when it was new and didn't like it at all, but maybe that's just me. You might be interested in PPSSPP if you want to explore the PSP library

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #593 on: February 14, 2017, 05:55:55 am »
I'm curious as to why you disliked it this much. I've never had the chance to play it (though now I just might thanks to your link...) but there are already aspects of it that don't sit well with me: I'm not a fan of the the voice acting and the gameplay looks like it's quite different with enemies and bullets no longer going through solid blocks.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #594 on: February 14, 2017, 11:35:36 am »
Powered Up certainly seems different, in a few ways, but the chance to play as Roll and the Robot Masters isn't appealing?  Or at least not appealing enough to overcome its faults?

Offline Revned

« Reply #595 on: February 14, 2017, 06:26:58 pm »
I mean, it wasn't outright bad, but I disliked the art style and the added content didn't really feel worthwhile. Sure, I guess it's fun to try playing as different characters, but Mega Man himself gets to use all their weapons already...

I haven't played it in 11 years (!), so take my anti-recommendation with a grain of salt

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #596 on: December 04, 2017, 12:56:24 pm »
Funny that you should mention "11", Revned...

Seven years since Mega Man 10.  Well, it will be eight, since this will be out late next year.

Do we like the new look?  As always, what I care about is... who are the Robot Masters?

Looks like the mysterious artwork found in Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 might actually be from this, as Mega Man appears to change forms (not just colour) when using different weapons!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 05:34:07 pm by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #597 on: August 05, 2022, 09:46:13 am »

So there is also the Neo Geo Pocket Color compilation, RockMan: Battle & Fighters, a pocket-sized version of the two Mega Man arcade games.  It was recently announced for the Nintendo Switch as well as "Mega Man: Battle & Fighters", even though the game is only going to be in Japanese.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 01:13:19 pm by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #598 on: July 06, 2023, 01:17:49 pm »
I'm still surprised at the number of views this topic has, compared to others on this board.

That said... when is there going to be a Mega Man 12?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #599 on: November 25, 2023, 08:45:26 pm »
16 years late, I finally decided to relist "Mega Man & Bass" under the Super NES to its proper Japanese name of "Rockman & Forte (J)", as this was a Super Famicom game that was exclusive to Japan, so I should treat it on that page as such.  If you use the bookmark that points to #MegaManBass, it will still take you to the maps, just as how #RockmanForte also worked before and still works.  Basically, they both worked then and they both work now.

That being said, I also noticed that the later release on the GBA that did come to the rest of the world, we don't actually have maps for.  I imagine they'd be similar to the Super Famicom version, but they would still be nice to have.