Author Topic: RE: Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series (parody)  (Read 7803 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series (parody)
« on: October 25, 2006, 09:06:23 pm »
I never could stomach any anime series butchered and then shown on Fox Kids or whatever the current name for their Saturday morning block is. However, this series of Yu-Gi-Oh parodies on YouTube made me giggle and even laugh quite a bit. Basically, they've turned each episode into a 4 minutes parody by redoing all the voices and spoofing all the stupid happenings of the real series. The voices are pretty good for something fan-made, and well, it's been a while since I've contributed anything to the social board. Hope it makes some people at least smile Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w71V2E3VC5s&mode=related&search=

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series (parody)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 09:55:16 pm »
My brother makes me play the card game, and I got tired of the anime soon enough.

My dad borrowed some Yu-Gi-Oh! manga from the library, and I have to say, it's actually good - before they got to the card game.  Yep, Yu-Gi-Oh! was around before it became focused on Duel Monsters.

In those early manga stories, Yugi would devise games - and even improvise them - to defeat bullies, gangsters, and other ne'er-do-wells.  One involved stabbing a stack of yen bills on top of one's hand to get as much money as possible without stabbing oneself, another involved playing air hockey on a heated table with an ice puck that had a test tube of explosive chemicals in it.  The fate of the loser was usually pretty horrible...one guy lost his soul, another guy had his vision become permanent mosaiced...  o_0  Strange how the almost evil Pharaoh could be a good guy.

There's references to things you would never see in a kid's show, so what most people know of Yu-Gi-Oh! today I imagine is quite commercially successful and kid-friendly, but I like the darker and more free-form and varied games presented in the original.  The cartoon around Duel Monsters is really Calvinball with cards - they butcher the rules of the game to suit the storyline.

I probably don't have patience to even watch this, though I did catch a couple minutes when my brother was watching it...I suppose parts of it can be funny.  I liked the PS3 reference in one.  RIDGE RACER!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 10:54:34 pm »
Me, I could never stand any of those cards/monsters anime, Yu-Gi-Oh being one of the worst. But the Abridged versions are great because they laugh at how lame the show is in so many ways!

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 01:54:06 pm »
Since when were guns so offensive?  All the digitally editing them out and having bad guys point their fingers all the time really is ridiculous.

I caught an episode of Zatch Bell! where bad guys had guns, but they covered them with a green haze.  You could still see that they were guns and the radioactive aura actually drew more attention to them.  I don't get it.

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 11:06:38 am »
Those YGO Abridged episodes are hilarious. LittleKuriboh (the creator) is an absolute genius with it, and does an amazing job with the voices (he does ALL of the voices, even Pegasus, Rex and Weevil).

People always try to get in on the fame by doing the same parody, but they do fail in comparison, because they are trying to be exactly like him.

---

Creator of over 410 maps on GameFAQs. ^_^
Creator of over 4,300 maps on GameFAQs!