Author Topic: I'll be heading out to pick up the Wii in a few minutes.  (Read 11562 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
I'll be heading out to pick up the Wii in a few minutes.
« on: November 19, 2006, 08:55:41 am »
WII!

So, um...don't expect any updates today.  >_>  (That's why I did an update last Thursday...)

Offline DarkWolf

RE: I'll be heading out to pick up the Wii in a few minutes.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 09:20:17 am »
Have fun but don't forget about the site for too long.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 12:57:08 pm »
Do I ever?  You guys send me stuff every week, it'd be stupid to let it sit.

Haven't played much of Zelda at all yet.  Goofing around with stuff.

They gave out Geist for free at EBGames as a Wii pre-order bonus!  I'd already rented it before, but what the hey, another product for me to register on my MyNintendo account.  Cool.

My "Fitness Age" in Wii Sports is 80.  >_>  Look, real physical activities aren't my forte...  >_<

Offline Revned

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 02:35:30 pm »
Bah humbug. All this buzz about the Wii has gotten me way too excited. I've been trying not to read reviews and stuff since I know that doing so will make the month long wait harder, but I haven't been able to resist. Darn Portrait of Ruin isn't coming out soon enough to distract me. Speaking of which, I heard it's really good.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 07:39:21 am »
I was thinking about writing about my first day with the Wii, but it looks like I'm sure one person isn't interested.

Needless to say, it was a very good day, but today the right side of my body, from my neck to my right buttock, are sore.  You can tell when I'm a pro Wii player when my body becomes disproportionately larger on my right.  >_>

*SPOILERS*

That first Zelda dungeon boss was cool, I beat it last night before going to bed.  But can you believe that it took 3 hours (to the minute) before getting the green tunic (if I hadn't wasted an hour it still would've been much later than in any other Zelda game) and 5 hours (and 5 minutes) to get to the end of the first dungeon?  Man this game is long.  I sure hope my component cables come in the mail today, because Zelda is hazy in spots without it...all that colour saturation in the Twilight Realm and all...

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 10:50:04 am »
I'm interested to know just how fun and responsive the Wii remote is. Not having tried it, all I can think of is that old Power Glove commercial that made you think it was the single most impressive accessory ever while in reality, it was an expensive, gimmicky and ultimately crappy controller. I'd prefer to hear from you guys than some anonymous reviewer on a gaming website ;)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 12:12:08 pm »
The Wii Remote's motion control is quite sensitive.  Though many games are shown with people doing the broad, full motions (like a tennis racquet swing or a sword slash), oftentimes a very subtle motion will do.  Despite not usually "fully" slashing in Zelda (by the late afternoon I was just jiggling the remote), I found today that the right side of my body, from my neck to my right buttock, is sore and tense.  I could have overdone it.  (Hopefully it's just a case of me not being used to it, I don't think Nintendo would honestly produce a potentially injurious product.)

They really should warn you about playing with your Wii all day long.  :P

The Power Glove has some nerdy appeal, I had one but returned it because it wasn't a good controller but it is a fun thing to just have.  Control-wise, though, the Wii Remote is nothing like the Power Glove and vice versa.  In the old Power Glove ads a guy is seen punching with the Power Glove in Punch-Out!!, but you don't actually do that.  But in Wii Sports: Boxing you actually would be doing a punching motion with the Wii Remote.

And how fun is it?  Certainly worth my dollars.  Of course, at the moment I only have Wii Sports and The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess.  Wii Sports is interesting; I like Tennis the most.  Boxing follows.  Baseball and Bowling I suck at and my skill and enjoyment of Golf is abysmal.  I have yet to try multiplayer (my brother was doing homework all day yesterday) which will probably make Tennis, Boxing, and maybe Baseball more fun.  Since I don't play sports in real life, I imagine this would be more fun to someone who actually occasionally touches real sports equipment.  But I will keep playing because of the Fitness Age, similar to Brain Age for the DS where a graph records your supposed "Age" and progress in reducing it to 20.  Unfortunately my Fitness Age yesterday was 80...  >_>

Zelda is also on the GameCube, which would also be a fun game but I am much enjoying the Wii version with its 16:9 widescreen, improved graphics (though probably not by a ton) and Wii controls especially.  Every 3D Zelda title has had something new and unique to it...without Wii controls, Twilight Princess would be too much like Ocarina Of Time.  Well, I suppose there are some additional gameplay elements like the whole being a wolf thing, which you can't ignore, but when Link is human the gameplay is little changed from anything you've seen in Ocarina Of Time.  Not a bad thing, but I'd certainly recommend the Wii version.  The Wii Remote is handy for the manual targetting with certain weapons like the slingshot and boomerang.  I have a fishing rod, but not a good one with a reel yet so I can't comment on the fishing yet.  If I had to be honest, though, Twilight Princess's story (so far), presentation, and length are actually what makes this game so great.  At least the Wii controls are integral enough that it's unfair for anyone to think that they were simply tacked on at the last minute.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 10:42:31 pm »
Doesn't Nintendo (along with every other publisher) include directions in the manuals that state you should take a break after an hour or so of playing games?

Why does your buttocks ache? Maybe I don't want to know.

You're using that muscle to keep your self balanced, aren't you? Don't slouch, don't squeeze your cheeks together, and sit as comfortably as you can.

---

Cool beans

Offline Zeric

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 01:03:32 am »
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2006/20061113.jpg

I am thinking about getting a Wii when Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy comes out.

It seems like there is also homebrew support for the Wii already.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/NitrousXP/?action=view&current=Wii_and_SDload.flv
Current Projects: Akumajo Dracula (X6800 - Final Stage) Mega Man X2 (SNES Sigma 2)

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA - 83%)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 01:00:15 pm »
I said that I sucked at Bowling but last night I played some games with my mom and dad and all of the sudden it's tons more fun.  Now I can consistently get at least a spare in like 8 out of 10 frames.  o_0