Author Topic: Experimental movie: The Cube (by Jim Henson)  (Read 8214 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Experimental movie: The Cube (by Jim Henson)
« on: November 22, 2006, 07:42:58 pm »
The following link explains everything, but here's the short version: in 1969, Jim Henson did an experimental television movie called "The Cube". It deals with a man who suddenly finds himself inside a cubic room he cannot seem to be able to leave, while people of all sorts keep coming in and out through hidden doors and panels; as a result, the man becomes increasingly frustrated and dejected. Anything more would spoil it, but just know that it is a fascinating and very cerebral story, and it's now public domain so you don't have to feel guilty for downloading it ;)

The Cube

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Grizzly

RE: Experimental movie: The Cube (by Jim Henson)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 11:03:03 pm »
Funny thing is: In 1997 a movie was created which is called Cube and uses the same main idea. I liked the movie and it's nice to see what original idea it was based off.

Thanks for the link :)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 11:13:43 pm »
I've seen the Cube in question, and I really liked it, even though it was a very different movie. Cube 2: Hypercube had an interesting premise but a flawed execution (it felt like the hypercube in question had no logic except the needs of the story behind its behavior) and I haven't watched Cube Zero yet.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 05:22:34 pm »
I've seen parts of both Cube and Cube 2, but could never manage to catch them at the beginning when they were on the SciFi channel.

Offline Blublu

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 11:25:30 pm »
Don't bother with Cube 2 and Cube Zero. Cube Zero is barely mediocre, and Cube 2 is horrendously bad. Cube, however, is a very good movie.

I have seen the old "The Cube" movie, and it is a little bit interesting.