Author Topic: Same Game, Different Name (1up)  (Read 9455 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Same Game, Different Name (1up)
« on: April 14, 2007, 06:38:37 am »
1up article: Same Game, Different Name

Saw this article about games that are changed due to localization and/or licensing decisions.  I knew about a good number of these but it was still interesting.

Maybe Revned's Tile Slicer/Splicer could let you map more than one game at once!

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Same Game, Different Name (1up)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 01:01:34 pm »
Wow, interesting. A few of these I knew about, but most are new to me. I'm not surprised that so many "licensed" game were simply existing games altered though, like Yo-Noid or Krusty's Fun House.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 03:22:14 pm »
The subject of Puyo Puyo/Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine/etc. has always interested me.  It should also be noted that Alexei Pajitnov (the creator of Tetris) claims to have developed this game and sold his own PC version of the game called Qwirks.  (Although I believe that Qwirks came out 3 years after Puyo Puyo.

I also think that the whole situation about Panel de Pon is funny.  It is similar to Puyo Puyo, but it is not a multi-developer affair.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 03:07:06 pm »
Puyo Puyo is one of my favorite falling piece puzzle games.  I like it much better than Tetris.  Of course I like most falling piece puzzle games better than Tetris (or Tetris clones).

The most challenging is Soldam though.

Offline Romulus

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 11:12:01 am »
Some games in the contra series had changes, such as the main characters and some enemies being robots in probotector

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 12:25:46 pm »
Now that I think about it, I remember seeing three Game Boy games that were essentially the same, with the character sprite changed but not much else.  I think it was a Mickey Mouse game, a Garfield game, and a Ghostbusters game.  They were practically just hacks of the same platforming game.  It's actually quite pathetic.

Licensed games are usually crap anyway, especially from the likes of Ocean and T*HQ.  The Ninja Turtles games by Konami and the Disney games from Capcom were actually decent, though, as if Konami and Capcom knew to actually focus on making games rather than something that barely passes as one that happens to have someone else's characters in it.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 05:36:15 pm »
The early Disney games on the Genesis weren't bad.