Author Topic: Donkey Kong Land 2 (GB)  (Read 128203 times)

Offline Fearnavigatr

Donkey Kong Land 2 (GB)
« on: May 20, 2007, 03:31:48 pm »
Yeah, you may have seen the two maps for this game that was added a small while ago.

I've had no previous mapping experience, but I was tempted into trying it out. While maybe not the best game for a beginner, I chose to attempt the first level of this game.

After making a map that I'm, if I may say so, very satisfied with, I went for the second stage aswell. So I figured I'd make this into a full project.

I'm no miracle worker, and I tend to lose ambition of things after a while, so don't expect this to be finished all that soon. But I've decided to try and finish at least one map per week, not including boss stages and world maps. With 39 levels, it doesn't seem too impossible, even though stages like the rollercoasters might prove bit of a challenge.

Offline marioman

RE: Donkey Kong Land 2 (GB)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 07:13:46 pm »
Great!  Please show us what you have after you get started.  Good luck.

Offline Fearnavigatr

Offline marioman

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 07:12:58 am »
They look very good.  It is nice to see the Donkey Kong Land games getting some attention.  Keep up the good work!

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 04:53:28 am »
There were two Donkey Kong Land 2 maps uploaded and I WASN'T INFORMED???!?!?!?

j/k

excellent work though, but I must say one thing...

more...NAO!! lol

Offline Fearnavigatr

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 03:43:05 am »
I'm afraid I didn't finish any map for this week's upload, but I'll get to work with completing Gangplank Galley once I get back home.

These aren't very short maps you know, one of them takes me about 8 hours, but just maybe I'll finish all of Gangplank Galleon in the next week to make up for it. ;)

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 07:21:18 am »
Which one takes you 8 hours? And, that kind of leads to ask what is the longest level in DKL2? Or, which level has the largest area?

Offline Fearnavigatr

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 10:59:43 am »
Both Pirate Panic and Mainbrace Mayhem took about that long. Pirate Panic was much harder thanks to the moving background (shimmering water) and the limited access to the highest areas (admittingly, I had to fill some of it up with randomly placed clouds), but Mainbrace Mayhem had a pretty advanced item placement.

I've no idea which is the largest, but I'd expect the wasp hive and castle levels to be a choir.

I'm working on Gangplank Galley. It's pretty much the same deal as Pirate Panic, except probably even more open area.

I also got started a bit on Lockjaw's Locker to get a feel of water levels. Ripping the stages will be pretty easy, because you have pretty much full access to any part of it thanks to swimming, but I'll have to make a template of the bubble sprites to paste onto it or the underwater parts will look like air. Also, thanks to hidden passages, I'll have to add more additions to it than just the travel letters.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 01:01:26 pm »
You've taken on quite a challenge. Admittedly, I've never played any of the Donkey Kong Country Game Boy ports, but they seem to have kept the overly-animated graphics and the stages where you can't go everywhere and have to fill in the holes creatively.

Good luck, and who knows? Maybe you'll feel the desire to map the SNES games but if you ever do, you're in for a lot of frustration :)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Fearnavigatr

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 06:07:53 pm »
Actually, it's not so hard on the animation part. There are only three layers of graphics, and as far as I can remember, only the ship deck levels have the background animated, which is only two different frames anyway.

Oh yes, I think the lava and rollercoaster backgrounds might have small animations aswell (lava bubbles and fireworks), but they're not much of a hassle.

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 04:58:01 am »
I can't wait 'til you've done all of them. Oh, and um... in Animal Antics, for the DKL2 version, you were only in the Jungle area, you didn't go through Jungle -> Ice -> Jungle -> Brambles -> Jungle like the 2 DKC2 versions, right? Coz that'd be hard to map.

Offline Fearnavigatr

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 06:30:15 am »
Indeed, there is no single level that changes area like that. Even if it did though, it wouldn't be too hard. Pretty much the same situation as the bonus stages.

Oh yes, now that I think about it, I went away in the middle of making the Mainbrace Mayhem map. So upon closer thought, that one only took me five hours. :P

Offline Fearnavigatr

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 04:54:41 pm »
I'm now halfway done with Gangplank Galley as I call it a night for the Tuesday.

This one's moving along pretty slow for two simple reasons, first this stage needs a lot more "filling in the holes creatively" or some sections would look outright ugly, second... the ship deck stages really aren't very fun to map. I can tell you that I'm looking very much forward to Lockjaw's Locker, that level doesn't even have a bonus stage.

Otherwise, it's coming along pretty nicely, and I expect to have it done by tomorrow.

I also finished a few smaller, very very easy maps, namely Wrinkly's and Funky's places and Krow's Keep, aswell as the overworld submap for Gangplank Galleon.

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 05:55:40 am »
Yay more DKL2 maps.

Offline Fearnavigatr

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 06:20:12 am »
I tried to finish Lockjaw's Locker for this update, but then the update came yesterday rather than today. Ah well. :P