Author Topic: PSP Project  (Read 11814 times)

Offline Special T

PSP Project
« on: March 08, 2008, 07:47:49 am »
So I'm done mapping all the towns in Phantasy Star for the master system, I'll upload them to the site late this week after I optimize the png files, but I wanted to move onto a PSP game next. Does anyone know how to map psp games or even get screen shots of them?

Offline marioman

RE: PSP Project
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:25:18 am »
I think it has something to do with replacing/downgrading your PSP hardware and installing some type of special program on it.  Not exactly sure though.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 08:42:55 am »
I think it might have been Zeric who attempted to map Mega Man: Powered Up on the PSP...

Offline Revned

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 12:00:35 pm »
If you have any of the custom firmwares, you can use the firmware extenders (I think) to get screenshot functions. Just hit the note button and it goes to a file in the PHOTO folder. Check here for info:

http://pspupdates.qj.net/

Good luck!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 11:06:38 am »
I know Zeric made some maps using the level editor on a previous iteration of the forum, though full maps of the game proper would require a lot of hacking and 3D skills. In fact, most PSP games are 3D by nature, making mapping very difficult if not impossible.

Though could you imagine how cool it would be if someone was able to, say, extract the 3D and texture data for the stages in Dracula X Chronicles or Mega Man Powered Up, and render them flat from the side, thus creating as perfect-as-possible maps from a 3D game? Ah, a guy can dream...

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 01:03:36 pm »
yeah, that would be so cool. I also always am on the lookout for programs that can do that. I tried some in the past but they just didn't do it right when I tried them out. They all had the right approach by getting info from what the graphics card is going to render and saving it, but they all didn't really work for me.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 01:53:29 pm »
It would require some good knowledge on how 3D graphics are stored/manipulated. I remember how someone on board.acmlm.org figured out the format for the 3D data in Super Mario 64, and then used that to create a program to display the level if not outright edit them. But you'd have to be one hell of a good coder to do that with a more modern system like the PSP.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 04:17:23 pm »
I'm not sure there's much point in mapping a 3d game to look like the rendered in-game graphics.  Once you get to that level of detail a simplified map (like the ones a lot of games have in-game) is more useful.

Even aesthetically speaking, I don't think it would be too grand as something would inevitably be hidden.

But I think Special T was talking about 2d games anyway.

Offline Special T

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »
DarkWolf Said:
I'm not sure there's much point in mapping a 3d game to look like the rendered in-game graphics.  Once you get to that level of detail a simplified map (like the ones a lot of games have in-game) is more useful.

Even aesthetically speaking, I don't think it would be too grand as something would inevitably be hidden.

But I think Special T was talking about 2d games anyway.

Yupe I was talking about 2d games but I would also like to take a crack at games like final fantasy tactics or Jeanne D'ARC. I'm fairly confident that I could map out the battles. I've been doing a LOT of research on modding my PSP to allow me to take in game screen shots / movies so it may become a reality. I'll let you guys know if it works out, wish me luck.