Author Topic: Using the maps  (Read 10224 times)

Offline Master Bait

Using the maps
« on: June 12, 2009, 06:11:09 am »
I'd like to include a link to a map in a guide I'm currently working on. I want to link straight to the map for "7 Days A Skeptic" for PC.

In general, how much is OK before you should contact the creator? Links, putting the entire map where you want, chopping a map in pieces and upload selected parts of it.

Shouldn't anything be OK since they are available for everyone?

Of coarse I won't credit myself for the map. In fact I won't credit anyone for it. I'm not even creditig myself for the entire guide, it's wiki format.

Offline Will

RE: Using the maps
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 07:01:17 am »
Hmm...I don't know. It took me a few hours to create that 7DAS map.

So long as hotlinking doesn't take place it should be fine.

As for not crediting a map, could lead to users taking advantage of it and plagarising the map for themselves if caution is taken, although the map is quite unique in its entire makeover.

I don't see the point of chopping the map into pieces to view certain parts, after all its a short adventure in one place alone, unless anyone wants to view the rooms seperately.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 07:16:11 am »
I could have told you without looking that Will Mallia made the map for 7 Days A Skeptic, and as Will is a regular here, I was sure he'd respond to this topic before I managed to post this.  (And I was right! - shows you how long it sometimes takes me to write a post...)

While it's true for screenshot maps that the majority of the graphics used are not the mapmakers' own, there is still a lot of work in assembling them.  Giving proper credit acknowledges the time and effort involved in capturing and arranging dozens or even thousands of screenshots, and/or employing hacking methods.  (Maybe not the most exact metaphor, but people could praise your snowman or sand castle even when you yourself didn't make the snow or the sand - though I'm debating whether or not the comparison of the original graphics to snowflakes or grains of sand is appropriate or not...  Anyway...)

In general, taking a small piece from a screenshot map is going to be just as okay as taking a screenshot from the game itself.  That is to say, no one should mind if it's for some sort of illustrative purpose, such as a thumbnail or a small preview pic if in a wiki or blog you want to link to VGMaps.com, for instance.  If you're going to show larger chunks of it or host the whole image, it is good practice to contact the creator of the map before doing so.  If in doubt, it's better to ask than to not ask.

When linking to the images on VGMaps.com, please link to the bookmark on the "atlas pages" themselves, and not directly to the map images.  In this particular example, you should link here:

https://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/PC/index.htm#7DaysASkeptic

Someone once told me it's proper "netiquette" (and who uses that term anymore?) to tell others when you link to their site; personally, I don't think that's necessary for everyone to tell me when they link to VGMaps.com, but all I ask is that you link like so and not to "hotlink".  And then if the creator of the map actually allows you to host their map on your site, that's fine too, though it's still at least polite to mention VGMaps.com if that is indeed where you originally saw it.

Hope that helps.

Offline Master Bait

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 08:14:05 am »
Alright. Thanks for quick replies.

Your map is awesome and I don't need to chop it up. I was just thinking in general.

About map making: I'm aware it takes time. I made the map for Jurassic Park on the SNES and I suppose I wouldn't mind if anyone would like to use it somehow.

Anyhow, I made it like this: http://wikicheats.gametrailers.com/index.php/7_Days_A_Skeptic_-_PC#Walkthrough

Offline Master Bait

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 09:47:43 am »
BTW, I just realized there's an error in that map, but I'm sure you're aware of it. It's just a little confusing since the blue line between the tunnel and the elevator shaft suggests you need to exit it to the right to reach the elevator shaft.

Offline Will

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 10:50:58 am »
I'm impressed by the quality of the walkthrough. You can freely link it. If you liked this map, you can also check out the 5 Days a Stranger and Trilby Art of Theft maps, if you're into Fullyramblomatic games.

I know for sure that the elevator shaft and the tunnel links that begin from the canteen are confusing, there's just no way I can help that due to the lack of space in the map. If you'd like to give me an idea on how to arrange it, I'd be okay to arrange it.

Offline Master Bait

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 01:48:14 pm »
Very good =)

And about the rooms on residence deck: guess there's no perfect way to arrange them.