Author Topic: Upcoming Castlevania games  (Read 11141 times)

Offline Revned

Upcoming Castlevania games
« on: June 26, 2008, 07:16:48 pm »
The third DS Castlevania, Order of Ecclesia is coming out late 2008 / early 2009. As much as I loved the first two, I'm afraid it might feel a bit stale. It also looks like they're still borrowing from SotN.

Trailer

Apparently, they're also making a Castlevania fighting game for the Wii, called Castlevania: Judgement. I'm not a fan of fighting games in general (save Smash Bros.), but it seems like it could work well.

User posted image

Offline marioman

RE: Upcoming Castlevania games
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 08:25:46 pm »
I read an article somewhere that dubbed Order of Ecclesia the worst kept video gaming secret ever.  Thought that it was a funny title for a game to be given.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 06:56:20 pm »
I'd have to see more of the Castlevania fighting game, but I'm not so sure.

Sure, I like Smash Bros., but other than that and maybe certain anime, properties that didn't start off as a fighting series don't turn out to be good fighting games.  Maybe I'm fearing it'll turn out to be like Star Wars: Masters Of Teras Kasai (or whatever it was called)...Ehrgeiz wasn't that hot either, certainly not just because of some FF VII characters in it...I think there's Dissidia or something, an FF fighting game.

It must be the early 90s if everyone wants to get into the whole fighting game craze again.  Maybe it's the upcoming Street Fighter IV that's reminding everyone how much fun it is to beat someone up.  :P

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 07:27:31 am »
I seen the Castlevania Fighting Game in my NPower, but didn't know it was gonna be a fighter.. I thought more like another Castlevania 64 style game, or like the one for PS2 (can't remember name..)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:06:09 am »
I mentioned it in another topic that I recently finished Order Of Ecclesia.

As the seventh "Castleroid" game (sixth on a handheld, third on a DS), yes, quite a bit of it is familiar.  The Glyphs are neat but aren't really all that different from cards or souls from past games.

I wish there were more Glyphs, rarer Glyphs, like the stringfish soul from Harmony Of Dissonance (I think it was that game, you know, the stringfish is the one where you have to stop time when you see the flashy thing zip by) or that weird fat green worm in another game (Tsuchinko or something?) that allowed you discounts in shops but disappeared quickly if you didn't get to it right away.  Stuff like that.  Okay, I guess there was the Yeti in this game...forgot about him...but he wasn't quite as interesting.  I don't know if I was lucky or what but it didn't take too long to get all of the enemies' drops.  Not that fighting the same enemy over and over 'til it's tedious makes a game better, quite the opposite, but at times it felt like there was too little challenge.

It's not a bad game by far, though it seemed a little short (I finished it in under twenty hours), and when you get to Dracula's Castle it didn't seem that epic as it seemed really redundant (repeating the same style of room or repeating the rooms outright within each area).  While Dawn Of Sorrow had those two guys who wanted Dracula's power and Portrait Of Ruin had the painter and his two daughters, the only other major non-Dracula bad guy here is killed off just shortly after you find out he's a bad guy so the story falls flat when all you're doing is busting into Dracula's home just to kill him.  They make it a bit too obvious exactly when to use what combination of Glyphs to defeat Dracula, as well.  Death has no personality in this game, unlike in some others where he at least says something.

Good points?  Well, as is usual for Castlevania games, the production values are top-notch (even if they did recycle several sprites of enemies).  Most of the bosses are all-new (including a memorable giant enemy crab fight), but I would've liked it if they brought back a least a couple old favorites (I'm a fan of Legion for some reason, but it/they doesn't/don't show up here).  The music as always is good, and if you don't like it, you can find/buy some records that when you use them, play classic Castlevania tunes instead (you can even play them during boss fights).  There are certainly worse ways to spend your time on the DS.

Castlevania games on the GBA/DS are way better than most other GBA/DS games, but Order Of Eccelsia isn't the best of the bunch, if only because past Castlevania games have raised the stakes, if you don't mind the pun.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 11:58:14 am »
Rented Castlevania Judgment for Christmas (Blockbuster didn't have Tales Of Symphonia: Dawn Of The New World, unfortunately).

In my opinion it's not as horrible as many reviews say, but then again maybe it helps that I'm a Castlevania fan.  It would have helped if there were a greater variety of moves per character.

Maybe more characters, too...where's Richter?  Where's Soma?  Why are Maria and Eric little kids?  o_0  Though it is neat that the characters are taken from different times in their own quests to defeat Dracula; Simon has already defeated him once (and his ending reveals that from his perspective this is clearly before Castlevania II: Simon's Quest), Sypha Belnades hasn't hung out with Trevor and the others yet (as seen in Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse), and Shanoa (from Order Of Ecclesia) is pulled into this while in the middle of her quest.

The character Aeon is neat; the whole story revolves around him gathering these other characters through time to find a champion because some other guy from 10000 years in the future wants to kill Dracula in the "present" but by doing so would mess up the fabric of time.

If Dracula comes back to life (more than) once every hundred years, then if he still poses a threat in ten thousand years, that means we could have at least another hundred Castlevania games to play.  :P

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 02:26:50 pm »
This is why I'm not even going to consider touching Judgment.

Granted, I will also admit that Aeon is a cool character. I never would've thought that would ever manage to make the clock tower a playable character. :P

And Dracula being present 10,000 years in the future probably means that Julius Mode from DoS is canonical. Sweet.

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman