Author Topic: RE: My Mega Man 4 Remix Game for Game Maker  (Read 10138 times)

Offline vorpal86

RE: My Mega Man 4 Remix Game for Game Maker
« on: July 28, 2008, 11:03:53 pm »
Hey folks. I just thought I would share this with you all. This is a WIP Mega Man 4 Remake I've tried to work on over the past year or so. I've done all the graphics in it, by enhancing and/or redrawing most everything in it to give it a 16bit look rather than the 8bit NES look.

I'm not sure if I will ever finish it but I thought I'd share and ask you guys what you think. Is it play worthy? It is more or less just a starter engine for the game I would hope to remake and there isn't much AI included with it. I was gonna do that after I had all the levels and maps layed out in the game.

I haven't given this out to many people. Mostly I was looking some for anyone who may have game creation in them that knows some about Game Maker that would like to help me out cause I am not too good with coding much. That's one reason I haven't did much on it lately, it's a lot to do by yourself. I'm mostly just a graphics/pixel artist and coding isn't too-my thing.

So let me know how the graphics look, the scrolling bg's (which I actually wrote the code for, it simple code so it was easy) and if there is anyone who may be interested in helping me with it, or know someone who does. I've been to the Yoyo/GM forums but a lot of folks there are plain rude and don't help much.

This may be off topic and if so I'll kill the thread. I just wish to share what I've been hiding to see if anyone likes it or not.

Zip file 3.6mb

http://vorpal86.snesorama.us/gamesamples/megaman/mm4_remake/samplegames/mm4Current_WiPv1.zip

Thanks

Offline Will

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 11:51:12 pm »
You don't have to stop there with completion of your remakes of the Megaman 4 maps. If you have what it takes to give Megaman 4, Megaman 5 and Megaman 6 some Sega Megadrive/Genesis graphics similar to that of "Megaman - The Wily Wars" fully mapped on this site, you could create maps of an unexisting and unofficial sequel Capcom never did so that the second trilogy is recreated with a title like "Megaman 2 - The Robot Rampage" for example. When you've done your fanmade game maps, you can take part in the April Fools Maps of the Month. This is a special custom to the site where a lot of us make maps of non existing games but they're quality all the same and have already caught the attention of certain game fans. If you look in the Maps of the month section you will find the game "Megaman Solid X - Guns of the Mavericks" and will be inspired to doing your own maps for next april fools or the years after that.

Offline RT 55J

My Mega Man 4 Remix Game for Game Maker
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 05:43:28 pm »
The background art looks quite good, but I think your first priority should be to make the game play well rather than just look good. Do to the fact that ladders aren't implemented, I wasn't able to make it past the first screen in Ring Man's stage.

Also, please do not use any sprites from Mega Man 7 whatsoever. They are simply too huge to fit into the environments of the NES games. You'd be better off if you used the X games or Wily Wars as the basis of your sprite work.

Oh, and can somebody nuke the duplicate topic?

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:34:56 pm »
Hey RT;

I was only using the MM7 sprites as placeholders because I thought the MM7 Mega Man was the coolest looking Mega Man they made for regular Mega Man games. As you say, I think the wily Wars sprite style and sizes are fitting better.

Also, I placed a hidden death spike in ring Man's level so I could die when I needed to. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the ladders work. I tried to once but MM kept moving to a different location when I pressed up and touched the ladder. Very frustrating to figure out. As far as making the game play well, that was my second priority cause I'm mostly a graphics artist and initially I didn't know hardly anything about GM when I came up with the idea to do some MM4-6 enhanced tilesets, and still don't know much really.

I Was hoping to find someone who could code better than me, which wouldn't be too hard. But I understand about the game play, can't have a good game without it. I was thinking about using the Mega Man 3 GM engine that a guy named "Damaged" made, who also made a series of MM fan games called Hard Hat 1-3. He's currently working on 4, but he has not much time these days. That engine he made feels just like a normal MM game. I applauded him. I just can't understand a lot of the code he used. Heh :)

Thanks for the replies though.