Author Topic: Power Pak (NES)  (Read 9265 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Power Pak (NES)
« on: August 13, 2008, 09:29:28 pm »

Offline Maxim

RE: Power Pak (NES)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 11:00:17 am »
Flashcarts for old systems are nothing new - but the modern way of using cheap, huge memory cards is a nice addition, although for technological reasons (NAND flash is block-based not byte-based) it means the hardware is bigger and more expensive for retro systems.

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 03:24:07 pm »
I figure, it's not the same, and Castlevania III works fine using Nestopia and FCEuX. There is no reason to BUY all these roms when you can get them for free. I would consider it a lot easier if it was an official product. The only NES game I can think of that I have emulated that didn't play well, was "Kid Dracula" (J). As a matter of fact, I have yet used an NES emu that DID play it right.

But yeah, it's a nice little thing for your real system. I may decide to get one of these down the road, when they have it working nearly perfect for all games. A lot of these games can be purchased for a decent price at ebay with box and manual.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:00:07 pm »
No, you don't buy the ROMs, you load them onto the CompactFlash card, stick that in the Power Pak, and stick that in your NES.

Surprisingly quick shipping (at least compared to the other things on queue coming in the mail at the moment), as my brother got it today.  Or rather, I'm pretty sure it's there on his desk, when he gets home, I'll let you know how it is...though if it works, I expect it'll be the same as the video review above, as in yay, great, highly recommended, etc.  Not a whole lot of surprises, really.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:54:46 pm »
Tried it out.  Pretty sweet!

Only gripe I have is that you have to pre-make save files for all the games that use saves...  You can save a game and reset and it'll still be there, but actually power off and the save will disappear without that pre-made save file.

Humourously, this happened...I was trying out Deja Vu but right before it loaded I somehow ended back at the menu screen (as in it was almost like I was experiencing deja vu).  Then I went back in.  After playing for two seconds I decided to test the save feature.  Powering off and going back into Deja Vu (again, deja vu) I found that the save didn't save (as in I lost my memory, like in the plot of the game).  LOL.