Author Topic: Mario Kart DS direct rips  (Read 19355 times)

Offline Piranhaplant

Mario Kart DS direct rips
« on: January 28, 2009, 02:51:26 pm »
I am glad to announce that I have just recently been able to directly rip the bottom screen maps from the Mario Kart DS rom.  I will be re-doing all of my past ones to get better accuracy, and I will be able to make them very fast.

When I rip them from the rom I get the map separated into 2 images shown below.  They are at regular size, so I will scale them up 200% to make them look like the do in-game.

User posted image

User posted image

---

Games I have mapped--Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES), Mario Party 3 (N64), Super Mario Bros Deluxe (GBC), New Super Mario Bros. (DS), Mario Kart DS (DS)
Games I have mapped--Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES), Mario Party 3 (N64), Super Mario Bros Deluxe (GBC), New Super Mario Bros. (DS), Mario Kart DS (DS)

Offline Revned

RE: Mario Kart DS direct rips
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:46:15 pm »
Very nice. I look forward to seeing them.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 03:08:16 am »
I'd prefer 100%. They look great, by the way.

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 01:08:12 pm »
Superb! Can't wait for finished products.

Also, yes. I demand 100% imagery.

Offline Piranhaplant

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 03:21:55 pm »
I am ripping them with Tahaxan, narctool, and CrystalTile2.  With Tahaxan, I can extract the compressed files that contain the map images, then decompress them with narctool, reinsert them, decompressed, with CrystalTile2, then view them with Tahaxan.  I've tried this with other DS games and had no such luck.

When I said I was going to scale them up 200%, I said this because in the actual game they are at 200%.  This would also make it easier to put sprites and Item Blocks in.

---

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 09:42:27 am »
Piranhaplant Said:
I am ripping them with Tahaxan, narctool, and CrystalTile2.  With Tahaxan, I can extract the compressed files that contain the map images, then decompress them with narctool, reinsert them, decompressed, with CrystalTile2, then view them with Tahaxan.  I've tried this with other DS games and had no such luck.

This should be much easier than the way you were doing it before, and more accurate hopefully :D

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 06:17:47 am »
Why isn't my message showing up on the main page?

Offline Maxim

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 06:32:40 am »
This forum script is not very good...

If you do add in the overlaid sprites then 200% is the way to go.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 03:48:26 pm »
Oh.... also, you're doing missions, I presume, Piranhaplant?