Author Topic: Mega Man live-action film  (Read 13125 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Mega Man live-action film
« on: November 07, 2008, 10:30:46 pm »
Mega Man film web site

It's a non-profit fan film...

While I get that Mega Man certainly has the fanbase that someone would do something like this eventually, I'm not convinced that something like this (if it had to be a film), as in, an action adventure, could be pulled off by independent filmmakers.

If you can't afford the special effects and action choreographers, it's probably not going to do it justice.  Just my opinion.  But hey, the official trailer has yet to be released, maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Good luck to them in any case.

Oh, whatever, I'll see it if I have a chance to anyway.

At least the story is intact, Hollywood would probably butcher it if they had their hands on it.

Offline Revned

RE: Mega Man live-action film
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 10:51:21 pm »
I'm always surprised at how seriously people take the stories. It's not like they're very complex; Wily tries to take over the world and Mega Man stops him. Meh.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 07:03:18 am »
Well, maybe.  But Hollywood would probably make it worse rather than better by trying to add stuff...by making him this tough cop played by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, who has some accident and he's cybernetically rebuilt as Mega Man, and the "Robot Masters" would probably be terrorists augmented by similar technology.  And then instead of resembling any of the Robot Masters you see in the games, they would instead have guys like "Parkour Man" and "Tattoo Man".  You know?  There would probably be some revenge motive in there, and then Roll would be played by someone like Kaley Cuoco, and then made into Mega Man's love interest instead (though maybe she'd be a little young for someone like The Rock).

Anyway here are some pics from this fan film:

Cut Man

Metool

Taken blatantly from this topic which in turn got them from the official forums.

Offline marioman

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 08:51:33 am »
I saw a clip of this for the first time yesterday, and I thought that it was incredibly cheesy.  Cheap acting, corny dialogue, etc.  I know that it is just a fan film, but it's not exactly the greatest IMO.  Strangely enough, something about it reminds me of that Mario Bros. movie. Don't know what it is though.

Offline Will

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 09:27:04 am »
Cutman certainly looks a lot better than the cartoon. In the TV Series he says in a stupid voice "I'm going to make paper dolls out of you". I'd like it better if he said "I'll make a pizza out of you!". The Metool looks slightly different with the goggles.

I only wish the 1994 TV Series could be improved and remade heavily. Rush, Gutsman and a lot of other acting characters were rubbish. I liked Dr. Wily. I thought his voice would sound like Dr. Frankenstein but he sounds more or less like a Russian KGB General from a James Bond movie.

I just think those days, you can't get any quality TV Series programmes. The oldest decent programme I can think of is the 1967 version of "Fantastic Four".

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 11:00:48 am »
The problem is that Mega Man is not meant to be that serious. In fact, when they wanted to go down a darker route, they jumped to the X, Zero and ZX series.

Looking at those pictures, I see nothing that makes me want to see the movie, except to see in detail how much they *don't* get Mega Man and how much they'll butcher it Hollywood style.

Heck, I don't think you could do anything with the classic designs that would work in live action without taking away what made it so charming in the first place.

The best way to do Mega Man to me would be with a big budget anime and a slightly more serious tone than the games, like the Rockman Megamix manga or the "Day Of Sigma" movie from Maverick Hunter X.

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 05:43:31 pm »
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was okay, but it wasn't as Final Fantasyesque as, say, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.  As hard as I have been on the latter, it's easily the better of the two.  Both were done with Square(-Enix)'s involvement though the writer(s?) were involved in Advent Children.

The Resident Evil trilogy was okay (well, I haven't seen the  last one, Apocalypse or whatever, but I'm actually looking forward to the upcoming CG film Resident Evil: Degeneration, done by Capcom themselves.

Conclusion?  Basically get the guys that made the games to be the most involved in making a film adaptation to ever be the closest to getting it right.

The Mega Man cartoons as they were I can live with, but certainly an animated series or animated movie developed in-house (or heavily supervised) by Capcom themselves would be a gazillion times better.

I never did read Dreamwave Comics' take on Mega Man...too bad they went bankrupt and they didn't sell too many in the first place.  I think there's like only four issues of that.  From what I remember it looked good.  It kept Mega Man in the same art style as the official art.  Hollywood has enough trouble with making live-action films based on games that don't look cartoony to begin with, so they shouldn't even think of tackling a cartoony game unless it is an animation.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 07:11:38 am »
The trailer is up, if anyone cares.

The actor playing Dr. Light is okay.  Dr. Wily...not so much.  I know Dr. Wily is supposed to be a little over-the-top eccentric, but I don't know...

I'm not going to lie, I'm still going to see it if I have a chance.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 11:25:28 am »
Really? I preferred Dr. Wily's actor over Dr. Light's.

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman