Author Topic: Mega Man II music video (by Duane and Brando)  (Read 6876 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Mega Man II music video (by Duane and Brando)
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:55:51 pm »

Mega Man II music video (by Duane and Brando)

Contains explicit lyrics.  But it's fairly well done.  I liked Flash Man's and Heat Man's segments.  Clearly, they don't like Bubble Man.

I don't take the same order he does.  Didn't realize Metal Blades were so potent.  I would've started with Bubble, then Heat, then Wood.  Shouldn't everyone know to use a fully-charged Atomic Fire (or two on Difficult)?  Even the big Mega Man Series Boss Chart on GameFAQs suggests Metal Blades for Wood Man...why?  Also note that he uses Rush Jet in Dr. Wily's stage...though Rush isn't present in Mega Man II!

Anyway, there are other similar rap videos by the same guys for other NES games that they have on YouTube, but Mega Man II is the best of the ones I've seen.  Final Fantasy was kind of long and there were places where the lyrics didn't show up (and hard to make out) and the Ninja Gaiden one was catchy but short.

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Mega Man II music video (by Duane and Brando)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:10:37 pm »
I personally start with Metal Man then use them against Flash Man, Bubble Man and Wood Man. It's not technically the most powerful weapon against all three, but the rapid fire coupled with the lack of recovery time for the boss makes it easier to kill them with it.

It was a good video, even if it's gratuitous with the swearing and the demeaning of women. I always cringe during those parts.

Incidentally, the first few notes of the boss music against the Wily Machine sounds really good. Sounds like they added a lower-pitched channel (square or triangle wave, I have no idea which) but it adds tension to the tune.

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Mega Man II music video (by Duane and Brando)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 02:31:03 pm »
I generally don't like all the attitude in gangster (or "gangsta"?) rap either.  I remember a rapper (don't remember who, though) saying something along the lines of that we were all borne from a woman, got our name from a woman, etc. so we should all be respectful to women, and it's a shame that many gangster rappers don't share that view.

I realize that this video could be seen as tongue-in-cheek or somewhat parodious (if that's even a verb), though with such a focus on Roll in that one scene, I almost wonder if you can even be parodying the demeaning of women without crossing that line itself.

And the swear words?  A word by itself isn't offensive on its own.  Though they could be used for emphasis, and often are used as such.  But if they're used in every other sentence, or multiple times in the same sentence, it loses its effectiveness, becomes simply gratuitous, and then it all goes from being shocking to just being ridiculous.

Though I did like this video, if only because it was an interesting take on a classic game that we're all at least somewhat familiar with.  I often like the rhyme schemes in rap, and now I have to find a way to work "than a cow has moo" into dialogue someday.  :P

Anyway now that I think about it, maybe I do go against Heat Man later, since I probably want the Item-2 for Heat Man's stage.  I'm confused.  Looks like I need to play the game again.  Oddly enough, my brother played the game AGAIN on the Wii Virtual Console, and finished it in one sitting AGAIN, just a couple days before I saw that video.  How many times can a person play the classic Mega Man games?  I love them too, but man...