Author Topic: RE: I didn't even realize the forums' shops were operational.  (Read 26447 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: I didn't even realize the forums' shops were operational.
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 08:01:28 am »
Maybe start with the smilies from the old forums.  I believe they're somewhere in the "forumsold" folder.

Offline Dan

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 05:33:40 pm »
I guess I'm not regular enough to get the hyperlink or image items.  D;

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 05:44:28 pm »
Post a little more in the next few days, then remind me.  ;)

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 05:46:00 pm »
My opinion is that everyone should have the powers of hyperlinks and images, but maybe it's not the consensus.

Offline Revned

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 06:07:04 pm »
I think it is the consensus, but Jon thinks not having privileges will encourage people to post more.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 06:45:26 pm »
I gave Dan his items.

And I don't see how you guys don't think earning things is fun.  Oh, wait, I gave you guys the items.  Well, it's more fun to actually hold on to an item, even if it's just a virtual one.  And look, if I ever need to control it, I can always take away items.

When I was extremely active on other forums such as the old LUE2.com, earning things was part of the fun.  In a game-related environment, I don't see why you guys would object.  You don't want to start a game with everything available, now do you?  >_<

Look, it's additional incentive for newcomers to come back.  It's worked on me, so why wouldn't it work on others?

Offline Revned

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 07:18:19 pm »
But it backfired for TerraEsperZ. He posted less when he didn't have images since he wasn't able to make the topics he wanted to. I think in a community this small it's pointless. If we want to stay, we'll stay regardless of the "rewards" we get.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 07:44:12 pm »
He's got them now.  >_<  I didn't forget him.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 08:06:10 pm »
I don't know how long it would have taken to earn the Link and Image abilities the normal way, but I guess one month would be about right. But if you ask me, that's one month where posting would be a chore more than anything.

I mean, those are the most basic of abilities to have on the net, since basically browsing the web is, at its most basic, reading text with pictures and being able to click on links to get elsewhere. I'm sorry if I sound bitter, but I really didn't have much interest to post in a crippled manner compared to all the other boards I'm a member of. The inability to edit posts is still something that I miss, because often I would have something to add after making a post, but since I don't want to have too many posts of mine one after the other, I'll just say to myself "oh, to hell with it".

I think that the reward system should be about things that are cool but not necessary. For example, being able to have a larger avatar, to change the color of our text, to use additional smilies beside the basic ones, etc. Those are fun and would enable board members to personalize their posts.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 08:36:57 pm »
Well put.