Author Topic: Mega Man OAV: Upon A Star  (Read 8196 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Mega Man OAV: Upon A Star
« on: March 14, 2009, 12:01:32 am »
Earlier this week, when I was looking for the Dreamwave Mega Man comics, I came across them on Amazon, but also saw a curious Mega Man DVD titled "Upon A Star".  It seemed to be Mega Man animation of some sort, but much more like the original and cute Capcom artwork than the Ruby-Spears cartoon we're probably somewhat familiar with.

The very next day, it was featured in an article linked from GoNintendo, and reading it, I was intrigued.  It was apparently meant to teach us about Japanese culture...interesting idea.

I found it on YouTube just now, and watched the first of the three episodes.  (It should automatically play the four parts of that first episode in sequence.)  I haven't seen them yet, but it looks like the second episode begins here and the third one begins here.

If you're a Mega Man fan, you should check this out if you haven't already!

Offline marioman

RE: Mega Man OAV: Upon A Star
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 07:12:26 am »
Amusing.  I had heard of these before, but had never actually seen them.  Thanks for the links.

Offline Will

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 09:34:31 am »
I watched the pilot episode. I don't like that program one bit. It does not resemble the game to me. The voices are very badly acted, Mega Man and the others have been illustrated as wimps and out of a video game into the real world is one boring storyline. The one and only bit I find good is the introduction theme.

I don't think the program teaches really anything about Japan. Japan consists of a lot more than just temples, judo, Shinto religion, Sakura (cherry blossom) trees and Mount Fuji.

I would advise against watching them, no offense meant. What you find good about them I can't imagine. I'm sticking with the Megaman NT Warrior series. I'll discuss on a seperate thread.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 12:56:21 pm »
The funny thing about this OAV is that it was created by the same animation studio that produced the cartoon series, which explains why the Japanese voice actors say stuff like "Megaman" or "Purotoman".

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman