Author Topic: 3 Requests  (Read 10735 times)

Offline SKARD

3 Requests
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:10:55 pm »
I have several DOS games in mind that I'd like to make maps for. But I'd like to do this in an automated way.

First task is taking screen shots. I use Gadwin Printscreen to save a file but I'd have keep hitting printscreen, then move, then hit printscreen some more. Is there a program that will continually take screenshots, say once a second?

Next is masking. For one game I can access the editor mode and look over the whole area but after I get the screenshots I'd want to remove the interface from the bottom portion. That's a tedious task. Is there a program that will apply a given mask to all the files in a folder?

Finally I've seen mentioned in a few topics a program for stitching screenshots together. Could someone explain how to use it?

Offline Maxim

RE: 3 Requests
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 05:35:48 pm »
The best option is to record videos in DosBox and load them into my AutoStitcher program (if you like to use it).

You could probably make a program to press PrintScreen once a second really easily in AutoIt.

Batch cropping is best done in Irfanview. I don't think it can do batch masking; but then, I don't really see how that'd be useful anyway. There must be plenty of programs that do batch "watermarking", and that's the same as masking (overlaying a transparent image).

The program for stitching screenshots together is called MS Paint, or Paint Shop Pro, or Photoshop... or maybe you mean Screenshot Autostitcher. It should be fairly simple to use, you just have to follow the guide on this forum and play with it a bit to get the hang of what the parameters do.

Offline LDK

Re: 3 Requests
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 06:29:53 am »
ScreenshotCaptor is very usefull aplication: http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/screenshotcaptor/ but I'm not sure, if is capable of taking screenshots automatically. For that if you have any gaming mouse or keyboard, you could create a macro to press key every XXX miliseconds.

For masking you could create batch within Photoshop a apply this batch to folder with screenshots. Very easy and fast way to crop huge amout of files with same content.

Or if you can use Autostitcher do it. It can crop files and stitch them very fast.

Offline DarkWolf

Re: 3 Requests
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 08:15:20 am »
Even if you don't like auto stitching, recording video is useful because Media Player Classic will allow you to step frame-by-frame through video.  Then you don't have to wade through a directory of screen shots.