General Boards > Maps Of The Month

2020/02: Sonic Advance (GBA) - TerraEsperZ

<< < (2/2)

TerraEsperZ:
I'm actually a lot more comfortable using Lua scripting when available in an emulator. I remember reading a Cheat Engine tutorial once about searching for a memory value that was referenced by a pointer and that just broke my mind. With Lua scripting, provided the values you need have a static location instead of a dynamic one, you can make a pretty powerful script.

With this game (and the other two), my script allows me to decouple the camera from Sonic's position with one key, move the camera around in fixed increments in both directions with two others and basically freeze all moving platforms and objects in their initial position/state with yet another key (since they all follow a small counter that keeps looping back to 0, freezing that counter at 0 effectively positions everything at the very start of a stage).

Now don't get me wrong, Cheat Engine has been a big help in other situations (such as moving the camera in Makai Toushi SaGa in the WonderSwan emulator Oswan) but I'm just not experienced or knowledgeable enough to use it properly. If I had a real need for it, I would probably make the effort but since I don't, well... I've always been somewhat lazy... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version