General Boards > Map Gab

Dark Wizard (Sega CD)

(1/2) > >>

Buckaroo:
A long time ago in a galaxy far far way I was into making maps on excel for videogames. Here are a couple of the ones I made of the Dark Wizard battlefields:

https://content.invisioncic.com/g290812/monthly_2019_12/1131393165_5CE9BB4E-BF6B-C22A-FD9F699D2CB0D5A6(1).jpg.bb08e1a0eeab1cc4ad2c12ef4a1b4630.jpg

https://content.invisioncic.com/g290812/monthly_2019_12/994371342_5CE3054D-D7B0-77A7-10F0277E5E7BAE11(1).jpg.3f63e000fefc809a473d07de35def082.jpg

I also made maps for Brigandine, Warsong and a world map for Golden Axe Warrior.

TerraEsperZ:
Interesting and kind of impressive! I never would have thought that Excel could be used to make maps!

How old are these actually? I'm curious to know because my very first game maps from about 26 years ago were lost more than a decade ago when I threw out old of my old floppies and I've always regretted not backing them up for nostalgia's sake.

Buckaroo:
As best as I can remember I started working on them about 2010/11.  Unfortunately that version of excel (2010) was the only version of excel (as far as I know) that would allow you to rotate the sides of the cell walls.  And while later versions of excel usually support the older ones that isn't the case with this particular function - so while I still have the files I can't do anything with them - the rotated side walls now show up as straight lines.   So anything I do with them has to be with the paper copies.

Each hex is actually made of 4 cells - you can see that most clearly in the second map on the south west edge of the large forest where in two adjoining hexes the left half of the hexes (which have been rotated 90 degrees) show as three triangles - which turned out to be really useful marking special places.

The very first maps I made were for Warsong  and they were on 5" floppies - those discs have long since vanished in the sands of time - I still have the paper copies  for those stashed away somewhere.

Buckaroo:

--- Quote from: TerraEsperZ on June 21, 2020, 09:32:38 pm --- I never would have thought that Excel could be used to make maps!

--- End quote ---

I hear that a lot - especially when I tell people that I managed to torture excel into  making hexes.

JonLeung:
I've seen Excel maps, but they're usually just using each cell, made into a square shape, colored in, so each one is a single pixel.

But these are interesting.  I can see how they can be done, but I can see why it wouldn't be the first thing one would think of, considering the hexagons.

I just tried making them in Excel by making diagonal lines across cells.  It works, but requires six cells per hexagon (though you can merge the center two, if that matters), though I'm not sure how to go about fully colouring them, unless there's a way to apply two colours to a cell.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version