Author Topic: The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Hours (April Fools' 2008 Project) - Brainstorming Topic  (Read 258178 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
I was thinking colours.  But maybe symbols are a better idea.  Just not sure about using Greek, though.  I was going to suggest Hylian letters, but I think they look too similar.  Maybe geometric shapes?

For the overworlds in Ages and Seasons, was there a quick way to get around?  I don't remember.  Because if there were teleporting ports like in Link's Awakening, they could take you to a different area depending on the time of day (like the warping whirlpools that change after you've been to the Dark World in A Link To The Past).  Then again, maybe not, there wouldn't be a way to show that.  Though why not use the same teleport spaces that RT-55J will use?  You'll need them for the next dungeon after that anyway, but you could have them elsewhere, and it would be easy to make them different in day or night.

Offline TerraEsperZ

In Seasons at least, Gale Seeds (which look like little tornadoes) allowed you to choose at which Mystical Seed Tree you want to go (among those you've discovered of course).

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Geez, I keep forgetting about the seeds.

Isn't one of the seeds like a fire-seed type thing that functions like a lantern to light torches and stuff?  I suppose I could add a torch puzzle in the too-empty rooms on the first floor of my Clock Tower...

If you can use seeds before the seed-shooter thing (sorry, I don't remember how early the satchel appears), then I think we'd have to avoid any fiery seed things before the first dungeon since RT has a fire-based puzzle in mind.

Offline TerraEsperZ

A quick recap:

--------------

Ember Seeds: Light torches, burn down trees and set enemies on fire.

Pegasus Seeds: Allows you to run for a few seconds.

Mystical Seeds: Mostly reveal secrets like with Owl Statues.

Scent Seeds: Attract enemies.

Gale Seeds: Send you to any discovered Mystical Tree of your choice.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Does anyone know how I came up with the Clock Tower boss?

User posted image

If so, I'll edit it some more.

Offline marioman

Wow!  Kirby's Dream Land 2!  Zelda and Kirby, a very unlikely combination.  (Outside of SSB.)  I would say that it is way too recognizable.  Sorry.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Agh, shoot.  I'll tweak it some more.  All I did was copy half of it, paste it as its other half, resize it (without filters) and minor touch-ups.  Then again I guess that wasn't much.  Hopefully I can make it a more distinct sprite without messing it up too badly.

BTW, marioman, why don't you do some sprites?  Are you good at that sort of thing?  I already asked about the Essences, didn't I?  That can't be too hard...

Offline RT 55J

I've finally "finished" Level 1. What do you think?

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/7051/level1gt1.png

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline marioman

BTW, marioman, why don't you do some sprites? Are you good at that sort of thing? I already asked about the Essences, didn't I? That can't be too hard...

Sorry, I have no sprite/art skills.  I think that I failed pre-school finger painting five years in a row.

I do have a question.  Why are you just modifying a boss from another game?  I thought that you wanted original bosses.  I modified boss like that would be immediately spotted.  Unless it were a boss from another Zelda game.  Otherwise, I would say that you would probably want to start from scratch.

Good job on Level 1 RT 55J.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
At least give it a shot, marioman.  An Essence is only 16 x 16 pixels, and doesn't have many colours.  You could easily doodle something in Paint and there really isn't much space to mess it up.  If you draw the general shape, that's already more than halfway there.

I was hoping that a modified sprite from another series would be less likely to be recognized.  I will modify it more so that the original only served as a mere template.  But if bustin or someone else can churn out some good (and distinctly original) sprites for all of us then I will throw out my design and ask the other dungeonmakers to use theirs too for a sense of consistency.  I will actively look for spritemakers on other forums right away (it's how I met bustin for the art in last year's project) and then if they do good work, we can leave the bosses to them.  So, dungeonmakers, think about what your ideal boss for your dungeon might look like, so they have an idea.

RT, I was trying to walk through your dungeon.  Where do the stairs in the upper-left lead?  And I think for a first dungeon there should be a little less ice (as in, the slippery surfaces) and aren't the map and compass both rather late?  By the time you get the map you're practically at the boss, aren't you?  I'd also put a shutter door in the mini-boss room, even if you do want the Roc's Feather to be obtained before facing the mini-boss.  And in the header, there's no name of the dungeon.  What is the name of the dungeon, anyway?  (I put together "Clock Tower" on mine from ransom note-like cutting from other dungeon headers...unfortunately the "Black Tower" level, which would've saved me lots of time, did not have such a header because it wasn't a regular dungeon...but it was stil fun to put together.)  And if I do get a sprite-maker soon, would you be willing to replace your boss?  You can think up what your ideal dungeon boss would be (so they can make it) if what you really want is different from the whatchamacallit that you used.

After you fix whatever needs to be fixed, are you going to do another dungeon?  Like the Excavation Site you proposed?  There are 44 days until April Fool's (and I'd rather we didn't work on this 'til the last minute).  That's a much later dungeon so you're be working with obstacles that involve a variety of Link's tools.

Offline RT 55J

Where do the stairs in the upper-left lead?

An outside area that enables you to light the torch in the middle. The torch isn't lit at the start of the dungeon (maybe I should change the map to reflect that).

And I think for a first dungeon there should be a little less ice (as in, the slippery surfaces)

True :P

and aren't the map and compass both rather late? By the time you get the map you're practically at the boss, aren't you?

I don't know what led you to that conclusion (the torch, maybe?).

And in the header, there's no name of the dungeon. What is the name of the dungeon, anyway?

The reason there is no name in the header is because I'm lazy. The dungeon's name is "Ice Cavern".

And if I do get a sprite-maker soon, would you be willing to replace your boss?

Yes, but I don't really have any ideas. >.>

After you fix whatever needs to be fixed, are you going to do another dungeon? Like the Excavation Site you proposed?

Yes, I'll do another dungeon. However, I think it'll be the Vampire Crypt first instead of the Excavation Site (although I might do that too).

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline marioman

At least give it a shot, marioman. An Essence is only 16 x 16 pixels, and doesn't have many colours. You could easily doodle something in Paint and there really isn't much space to mess it up. If you draw the general shape, that's already more than halfway there.

I wish I could.  I am absolutely swamped with non-project things, and I am lucky to get a post in here and there.  (Trust me - I have verified Murphy's Law multiple times in the past week alone.)  Taking the time to try and learn spriting and figure out the Oo* art style would be more than I could handle at this time.  Sorry.

Offline RT 55J

Version 1.1

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/6231/level1mj2.png

Dungeon Name added

Less ice

Change silver rupee puzzle. I think it was practically unsolvable beforehand. :P

Mini-boss room changed

Bomb wall removed (the bomb-plant thing looked terrible)

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline RT 55J

Level 6 - Vampire's Crypt

Last Update: February 17

Progress: 4/40

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9328/level6fk1.png

The shape is supposed to be a Jack-o-lantern if you couldn't tell.

Also, I'm wondering how the rest of you are doing. We only have 42 days left.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
I'm going to be starting a second dungeon right away here...