General Boards > Map Requests

World Map request for Lunar 2 Eternal Blue (Sega CD)

<< < (3/3)

JonLeung:
I removed the excessive "Unmarked" indicators... that's my slip-up from abusing the Bulk Rename Utility...

Turns out I was able to compress them with PNGGauntlet after all, so I will have to fill in the new sizes.  Don't bug me about them, I'll get to them!

Lüt:
You're all quite welcome.

It was a fun journey... but I'm glad it's over!

Now, for the original request: the compiled overworld map has, of course, thrown more wrenches at me than I originally imagined it would. While the key transition points between the overworld segments lined up well enough, it turns out there were some rather jarring transitions (or lack thereof) at the further reaches of the playable areas. Possibly the most surprising (and irritating) one was that the bottom-right side of the Minea Sea, which was supposed to overlap with the left side of Salyan Desert, had somehow had the entire area shifted upward by one tile. Seriously... why?! One does not simply add or remove a horizontal row of tiles from a map this size. Also, below Azado and to the right, a lot of the varying cliff heights of Madoria Plains just kind of... disappear... when they get to the Minea Sea segment. I mean, it's certainly not the disaster that the LttP mountains are, but it's definitely a close second!

Anyway, I plowed through the connectivity issues, and here we are:

Current compiled map PNG image - https://drive.google.com/file/d/19_uufHCYe3yFeZi3l904rSDF5HgU_rAQ/view?usp=sharing (2.36 MB)
Current compiled map PSD ZIP - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t5VnrFKikGItRrmLaGifs2tXEDpiwzhR/view?usp=sharing (15.0 MB)

Because of the sizes, I've directly linked them as files rather than embedded them as images. (Use download arrow at upper right; online preview looks screwy in places.)

For the most part, I was able to find transition points that only needed a little trimming, but you'll see a few where some more constructive methods were required, and perhaps the most obvious, the cross-fading of the icy water with the summer water. The mountain height cutoffs southeast of Azado are weird if you're following elevation levels, but at least the graphics aren't choppy. The river between the Minea Sea and Salyan Desert, starting near Dalton, had its height slightly modified due to the 1-tile-shift, and the waterfall at the bottom of the river has been extended downward by 1 tile to compensate. Other water was easy enough to extend.

Finally, you'll notice 2 incomplete areas where the game didn't have map data. It's beyond my capacity to fill these in, so this is as far as I take it. I've provided the PSD in a ZIP if anybody with Photoshop wants to continue working on it using my source. It's probably not the most accessible setup, and I could have made it more user-friendly by using layer masks to remove overlapping areas rather than deleting the source material directly (though I finally did that with the southeast segment of Minea Sea), but it should be functional enough. It's also a CS4 document, so it should open in any version of PS within the last 10 years without trouble.

Also, interesting about the further compression. I couldn't get any better with a 3rd or 4th pass than a 2nd, but some of these are more than a few kb smaller, and I don't see any unexpected changes to color value or index that would indicate essential corners were cut. Will search this program further, I suppose. Checked all new links and everything's good. Thanks again for hosting all these!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version