Author Topic: Time flies... Phantom Menace is ten years old today.  (Read 6467 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Time flies... Phantom Menace is ten years old today.
« on: May 19, 2009, 11:28:21 am »
Sometimes I think I ought to act my age, but sometimes I just feel plain old and wonder where the time has gone.

They mentioned on the morning news the usual "This Day In History"-type things.  They mentioned the release of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace.  I correctly guessed (I guess it's not really a guess when you know) that it was 1999.

But it wasn't until later on in the day that I realized that 1999 was a whole ten years ago.  (That means there are teenagers today that grew up with that kind of Star Wars.  :P)

It seemed like not that long ago when my mom lined up for five hours at the SilverCity theatre in West Edmonton Mall to get the family tickets a few days earlier.  And then to line up for us two hours on opening day so my dad, my brother and I, wouldn't have to spend our time waiting (surrounded by costumed Darth Vader and Boba Fett and Jedi wannabes).

Yeah, my mom, who says she'll happily do anything for her sons, and whose generosity regarding her own time is exploited in situations like this.  Thanks, mom.  :)

Of course I probably should've lined up myself if I wanted to see it that badly, it's not like I would have been missing school.  Since I finished exams.  Since I just finished my first  year in UNIVERSITY.  That was ten years ago.  University began for me OVER A DECADE AGO.  That actually makes me feel more old.  >_<

Funny thing is I reacquired the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special this past week.  If a ten-year anniversary of the most overhyped movie ever was anything to celebrate, I could do it by watching that.  At least I won't feel bad knowing that it's going to be bad.  Or I could watch the new Star Trek film despite not being a Trekkie (but maybe I'm scared I might like it more than the Star Wars prequels).

Anyone else feel old?  Or is it just me?

Offline snesmaster

RE: Time flies... Phantom Menace is ten years old today.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 01:05:06 pm »
I did see the new Star Trek movie.  I thought they did a good job on it.  If any of you heard of Star Trek Phase II, I have been helping out on that project, and the person who plays Kirk in that was an extra in the movie so it was kewl seeing him pop up on the bridge in a few scenes.

It's hard to believe it's already been ten years since Episode I came out.  No where near as good as the first three movies, witch are actually the middle three movies.  I wonder if they will ever do the last three.