Author Topic: What's up with subtitles of sequels these days?  (Read 6856 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
What's up with subtitles of sequels these days?
« on: June 08, 2009, 11:38:09 am »
So, I still haven't gotten around to playing Prince Of Persia, which has been on my queue-to-play since it came out.  I loved the Sands Of Time trilogy and I hope this is good too.  What I always found odd was the lack of a subtitle on this one, especially considering that it isn't a remake of the original classic, which is one of the most ported games ever.

If I told you I hadn't played a proper 3D Sonic adventure game since Sonic The Hedgehog, surely you'd be confused if you didn't remember the Xbox 360 one of the same name.

Recently I played Klonoa on the Wii, which is a remake of Klonoa: Door To Phantomile.  Here, the new game has a shorter name.

Currently I'm sort of playing Punch-Out!!  While there is an arcade game of the same name, it's more like a reimagining of either NES game, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! or Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream.  So, again, like Klonoa, you get the simplest name possible for the latest game.

Apparently with movies this year, you can just add or subtract the "the"s.  Subtitles or even sequel numbers must be pass?.  See Fast And Furious, which reunites the cast of the original The Fast And The Furious but is not a remake, or the 3D film The Final Destination, the fourth instalment of the horror series that began with Final Destination.  I would expect only extremely minor title changes like these to be indicative of remakes but these aren't.

Anyone else find this trend kind of odd?  It's just one of those things I noticed and felt worth mentioning.  I'm sure I hadn't noticed this trend until this past year.

Offline Will

RE: What's up with subtitles of sequels these days?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 01:23:06 pm »
I have no idea why most companies do it, they even rename remakes from its predacessor. The first Medal of Honor game itself doesn't have its own subtitle. Certain titles like Spiderweb Software's Avernum series don't have subtitles in their sequels. Adding "The" to titles is a pointless and dull change to me.

It is very confusing to name the newest Prince of Persia game just "Prince of Persia" when that title is already taken for the platformer game. Also the newest Wolfenstein game is called just "Wolfenstein". The only game I know of which has a subtitle in its title is "Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge" and yet there's no subtitles for its sequels.