General Boards > Mapping Tips/Guides

Recommended programs to assist your mapping

(1/6) > >>

JonLeung:
This list of useful programs will be edited on an ongoing basis as more suggested programs are brought to our attention.

Image Organization

CompuPic Pro - I've been using this for years.  Good for basic (and advanced) browsing and organization.  And basic editing, too.  Has some helpful functions like auto-crop, batch conversion and renaming, keywords and categories for sorting, screensavers, slideshows, picture indexes, changing the time and date of files, looking inside .ZIPs easily, and finding out what type a file really is.  It can do a lot (I'm still finding things that it can do), all you need to do is click around.

Font Making

Bitmap Font Writer - Incredibly useful if you want to label your maps, but only want to do so with the game's own font.  Or any custom font you may want to create, really.

Image Checking

Revned's Tile Slicer/Splicer - If you make your maps as nice rectangles with dimensions that are multiples of 16, these programs will slice them up into all its unique 16 x 16 tiles.  You can then replace tiles that aren't the same (but should be) with ones that are and then splice them back together for a perfect map.

Revned's Tile Slicer (latest version, 1.1) - added May 2008, Splicer to come.

Image Compression

PNGGauntlet - I've been using this on every .PNG submitted to me, and nearly always am able to shrink them down.  Depending on what you use to edit your .PNGs, this could shrink the filesize by quite a lot without affecting the image.  Use this after you have no more editing to do on your map.

Revned:
Maybe you should add my Tile Slicer/Splicer programs to the list.

JonLeung:
I was thinking about those two, too.

What's the official name for them?  And where can we download them again?

Revned:
That's the real name. Never thought of anything better. The old download URL still works: http://www.geocities.com/revned22/0.5.zip

Revned:
Ooh yay! Bitmap Font Writer runs on my new computer. I got one of those Intel Macs. Now I don't have to piece my titles together letter by letter :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version