Author Topic: 2009/07: Beyond Oasis (Genesis) - xyzbilliu  (Read 20134 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2009/07: Beyond Oasis (Genesis) - xyzbilliu
« on: June 30, 2009, 09:55:21 pm »
User posted image
Beyond Oasis

For this month's "Maps of the Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to xyzbilliu's Beyond Oasis (Genesis) maps.

Beyond Oasis (known outside North America as The Story Of Thor: A Successor Of The Light), is an adventure game with some RPG elements and an overhead view.  It's the kind of game you'd expect to see on the Super NES, but is instead on the Sega Genesis!  And it looks good - not just with the detailed graphics, but the fluid animation.

If you get lost while helping Prince Ali master the powers of the Gold Armlet in his quest to stop the bearer of the Silver Armlet, xyzbilliu's maps should help.  Though the game may be relatively shorter and more linear compared to other games in the genre, it doesn't mean you won't lose your way.  But go ahead, take the scenic route - the Kingdom Of Oasis is one of the nicest landscapes you'll find in the 16-bit Sega universe.

So to recognize the effort put into making maps for a game that deserves more exposure, xyzbilliu's Beyond Oasis maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps of the Month for July 2009.

Offline FirebrandX

RE: 2009/07: Beyond Oasis (Genesis) - xyzbilliu
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 07:25:33 am »
The bizarre downside to Beyond Oasis was it's director, Yuzo Koshiro, was well known for fantastic video game music. Yet somehow in his own game, his score was nothing short of aweful! I remember it soured me on the game, much as I tried to play through it.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:24:32 am »
Very nice maps. I've never heard of this game before, but it is nice to look at. I really like that map system with the island, especially the square of water around it that makes it look like a model.

---

YTT (38%) - WL4 (72%) - PM (50%) - YI (14%)
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Will

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 12:41:17 pm »
Excuse me if I point this out, but that dragon's horns don't look very right, because I think they're supposed to be coloured white. Or are they transparent and see through? I'm not sure but I had an odd feeling about it.